Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

@STOLman wrote:

FYI there will be an upgrade available for your
S-TEC System 55x to the new S-TEC 3100 autopilot sometime next year.

That’s excellent !
Have you an idea who will feed the AP with attitude informations ?

The SN3500 gets its L/R and U/D info from the navigator. Why would there be a difference if the A/P gets the info from the SN3500 or from the navigator directly? In both cases it has the same source.

Currently, in my SN3500 installation, the KFC225 gets its H/V commands via analog, from either the NAV1 KX155A or from the KLN94 (according to the “NAV/GPS” switch which operates two 8-pole relay boxes which form a 16-pole relay). That is the classic setup which was shipped in just about everything all the way until about year 2000. But if you have a GPS which can output ARINC429 roll steering (basically the GNS430 or anything later; the KLN94 just missed that boat although I vaguely recall the earlier KLN90B has it) the SN3500, fitted with the Roll Steering Option (a $1000 software key ) will convert that data into H/V analog autopilot voltages (called the FCS Output). IOW, the SN3500 contains what is classically called a roll steering converter, like the GDC31.

In my current setup the autopilot does pretty well what the EHSI shows but if you use the roll steering option it will do exactly what the EHSI shows. AFAIK the difference becomes visible when you are flying stuff like curves. For normal LOC/ILS or GPS/LNAV (NAV mode) stuff there isn’t much difference.

You also get seamlessly identical operation between ILS and LPV, with the KFC225 in the same mode for both AFAIK (probably “NAV” i.e. it flies an ILS thinking it is LPV, which is exactly how it should be).

The G5 could have contained that feature but it would be competing with Garmin’s other products.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the announcement, there is :
Garmin Announce

Additionally, when interfaced with a GTN 650/750 or GNS 430W/530W, the G5 can provide GPSS roll steering navigation from the navigator to the autopilot. Pilots can simply select GPSS on the G5 and heading mode on the autopilot and the autopilot will fly smooth intercepts, holding patterns, procedure turns and more.

About the cost, i found on Pilots of America Link
They talk about 3200$ with installation.

LFMD, France

That seems to need an autopilot which can accept ARINC429 data directly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The G5 could have contained that feature but it would be competing with Garmin’s other products.

G5 does support roll steering for most autopilots.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t follow. The SN3500 gets its L/R and U/D info from the navigator. Why would there be a difference if the A/P gets the info from the SN3500 or from the navigator directly? In both cases it has the same source.

Thats true, but it is a big difference, in wiring. (eg. if you connect 2x gns430 to a SN3500 this can be done by Arinc, and the AP L/R – U/D analog to the AP from the SN3500 without any relays ) and you have 4 navigation sources that you can select for the AP (gps1, nav1, gps2, nav2)

At this point this is not even possible on the G5 /GAD29B (as far as I know) to connect more than one navigation box (with the GTN you have two navigation sources out of one box)

The G5 also has only one Bearing Pointer and no ADF input, nor vor/loc composite input (SN3500 has two bearing pointer and ADF input,)

my persenal oppinion:
The G5 (HSI) is a great HSI specialy for upgrading from a vacuum DG and seperate CDI. but compaired to a SN3500 it has mutch less capabilities , and with the one turn/push button a little less user friendly
but when one GTN installed I would go for the G5/GAD29B it does everything you need.(for far less money)

Last Edited by Jetprop at 26 Dec 22:41

HSI install proving a bit of a nightmare. Getting it done by a Part 66 guy who was recommended to me. I told him that other Mooneys have had the GMU11 mounted in the tailcone with success so he put it there, but never did the interference test. Wired everything up and turned on the G5 and there’s no sign of any heading information. Also no CDI, and no sign of one when the GNS tries to do its half scale deflection test on startup.
After much troubleshooting I find that there should be a ‘magnetometer’ field in the setup menu that’s not there, along with lots of other items. Turns out that earlier software versions don’t support the GMU11 (then why does it show the HSI display?!) so tomorrow I’m going to drive to the airfield again with the latest software on an SD card and pray that fixes everything. He double checked the wiring yesterday and assures me that its as per the install manual

Last Edited by zuutroy at 12 Jan 14:51
EIMH, Ireland

@zuutroy

Let me know how you get on with the magnetometer in the tail – our M20K installation should be in the next few weeks!

EGEO

@zuutroy, any news on your installation?

LFPT, LFPN

zuutroy wrote:

After much troubleshooting I find that there should be a ‘magnetometer’ field in the setup menu that’s not there, along with lots of other items. Turns out that earlier software versions don’t support the GMU11 (then why does it show the HSI display?!) so tomorrow I’m going to drive to the airfield again with the latest software on an SD card and pray that fixes everything. He double checked the wiring yesterday and assures me that its as per the install manual

I just completed a full dual G5 installation with GAD29B (AP interface) & GMU11 magnometer.

I found some “omissions” in the otherwise very explict Install Manual:

- The magnometer needs a “first time” calibration and it MUST be done with the GPS working and receiving full positioning .
( I wasted hours in the hangar before I discovered this and pulling the plane out to get GPS reception was all that was needed !)

- Verify which GAD29 you have, ie. is it a " B " or non B unit ? This changes the set-up procedures and caused more wasted troubleshooting hours .

Send me a PM if you need more assist.

Last Edited by Michael at 03 May 06:23
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message