Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

Thanks, as you can see this was back in January, I got it sorted eventually…it was due to incorrect CAN wiring.

@Aviathor Everything works perfectly now and it interfaces great with the GNS430 and KFC150 for GPSS roll steering.

@Michael I suspected the GMU11 calibration needed to be done outside when it referred to ‘taxiing’ from one heading to the next, but in any case I’d no room in the hangar to do it.

EIMH, Ireland

zuutroy wrote:

…it was due to incorrect CAN wiring.

I too had an error in the harness that was supplied with the unit, despite that the CAN bus is as simple as it gets …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

From US AOPA magazine advert:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The good thing is that if you have just one G5, you can install Garmins new AP GFC500; with a GAD29 it can be connected even to older GNS units, Waas or non Waas.
The GFC500 is attitude based, not rate based, has roll steering and altitude / vs preselect, and features stall, overspeed protection and a level off button. Not bad.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

What I found funny was the Experimental pricing. Surely it is the same box. In theory it doesn’t come with the 8130-3 but in practice it is usually in the box (that is how I bought the first Sandel SN3500 – from the same company IIRC)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The experimental version doesn’t come with a backup battery included (you can buy it at extra cost if you want it) nor does it come with the STC paperwork. The STC paperwork is about 80% of the extra cost, I think the battery if you buy it on its own is about $150. I think the software is also slightly different in the certified version (there are some things that are disabled in the certified version)

Last Edited by alioth at 14 Jun 10:36
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I think the software is also slightly different in the certified version (there are some things that are disabled in the certified version)

No, firmware is the same, just the settings are different, and they are accessible directly from the front panel.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I would like to install 2 G5 in a 182 with a GTN750 and a stec 60 AP
can someone confirm if this is on a G reg airplane possible (STC for AP) and maybe can recommend a shop that has experiance for such a set up

many thanks

fly2000

Why an STec 60 (presumably 60-2) instead if a 55X?

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

Why an STec 60 (presumably 60-2) instead if a 55X?

because that is what is currently installed

fly2000
Sign in to add your message