Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random avionics internals

Neutrik phone plugs. One of Liechtenstein’s best products! They aren’t expensive and are very robust.

Andreas IOM

Apologies for knocking the KX175. I have just seen so many of them being repaired… I would however think they have plenty of other issues e.g. poor frequency stability. Every time I fly I hear some awful radio and most of them are these (or similar) very old sets. Maybe they can be repaired to as-new state but the expertise isn’t around to do it, especially when half the PCB is corroded.

The fixed price repairs on modern avionics are generally poor value, which is why a lot of people stick to the older (1990s) stuff which works fine for today’s IFR and can be repaired fully, off the books.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi, somebody knows in what equipment the indicator KW-105G was used?
And where it can be bought cheap?

kyprijan wrote:

Hi, somebody knows in what equipment the indicator KW-105G was used?

Davtron clocks for example. It is still available from Davtron themselves: http://www.davtron.com/product-detail.php?KW105G-31
But cheap certainly not… Aircraft Spruce sells it for 49$.

EDDS - Stuttgart
It is still available from Davtron themselves

And where still used such indicators?
Davtron also used kw115 kw505 Fuji 3015
In what models KW-105G were used?
Maybe I will find the donor cheaper.

These are used in aviation products which have not changed since the 1980s. Basically this is true for most of the “little instruments” like this

which are still made in low volumes, presumably by a bunch of old guys working in some shed, for the replacement market, after “glass” has caused the bottom to drop out of this market

for new aircraft, and those who had 30k-50k burning a hole in their pocket chucked the old stuff out…

These incandescent-filament 7-segment displays were popular in petrol station pumps back then, too. They offer good contrast because the filament is thin so the power is concentrated, whereas with LED lamps you naturally get a wide “filament”.

Nowadays you would use LEDs but surprisingly LEDs don’t come in many options if you want the right sort of small size e.g. 7-8mm. This thread also has some info on these lamps. In there I am using surface mount LEDs but they are quite expensive.

I am surprised the former USSR didn’t grab the opportunity to make these displays – they are good at making vacuum technology and are really printing money making valves like the KT88 etc for the western hi-fi market, while laughing all the way to their bank at the “stupid westerners” who think an amplifier with a THD of 20% sounds great

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

am surprised the former USSR didn’t grab the opportunity to make these displays

The USSR was made numitrons IV-9 (were a tube but not in type the DIP) but they were used in calculators.
Information very little as it is a rare element (KW-105g) in difference from Fuji 3015f.
$ 49 for one indicator is a lot for me … went to look for a donor.
Radio stations/navigation stations of which firms used the noumitron displays?

kyprijan wrote:

$ 49 for one indicator is a lot for me … went to look for a donor.
Radio stations/navigation stations of which firms used the noumitron displays?

Google found me this: The original manufacturer is “Wamco” and the part is called KW-105G, manufactuer number: 6625011667357
Part Alternates: DIP-650 PM-X2402, DIP650PMX2402, 105GPMDIP, 105G-PM-DIP, 5189049002, 5189049-002, 6625-01-166-7357, 01-166-7357, 6625011667357, 011667357

Maybe one of these replacement types can be found easier? The problem with spare units taken from a donor is that they are as old – or even older – than yours and can last for 100 more hours but maybe only one hour.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I happen to have a box with old aircraft parts in my garage (10 years of aircraft ownership leave some garbage behind…). So I just opened a Cessna/ARC/Sperry Series 800 Nav control unit ( * ) and found 10 numitron displays inside. I pulled one out and it is called: Pinlite MD-650. Google found me a page (http://www.surplussales.com/bulbs-incan-panel/vacdisplay.html) where it says that this is a replacement for the KW-105S. Unfortunately I have no idea what the difference between your “KW-105G” and the “S” might be. And here I found a posting on the internet – but 6 years old – where someone has “lots” of these MD-650 displays for sale at 20$ a piece: https://www.tubeclockdb.com/component/kunena/7-buy-sell-trade/2043-fs-pinlite-md-650.html

Maybe this helps as a starting point?

( * ) The part is called: C-1038A, they are sold on eBay USA for 100$ (or 10$ per display if you throw away all the rest…)

Last Edited by what_next at 29 Jul 12:33
EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Wamco

I wrote to Wamco one display costs 160$.
what_next wrote:
Unfortunately I have no idea what the difference between your “KW-105G” and the “S” might be.

Difference in size.
Im not have plane. I am an electronic engineer and looking for items for my product and the size is very important.
Strange that I can not find the NSN number KW-105G-H…

Sign in to add your message