Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FLARM - equipment options and how well does it work around Europe?

Stateside there is a DIY solution called Stratux which costs around 150usd from computer store components – instead of imposing 8.33 nonsense on VFR OCAS the EU might have ensured a cheap, universal traffic awareness system was made available.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Stratux is a passive ADS-B IN receiver, so unless everyone is broadcasting ADS-B OUT then it can’t provide a cheap universal traffic system. Similar boxes are already available in Europe. What would already make life safer OCAS is if every aircraft that had a transponder actually used it!

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

Similar boxes are already available in Europe.

I suppose that refers to PilotAware? Or are there more?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Another thing. What is the connection with ADSB and mode S ? I have seen some mode S boxes are ADSB “compatible” or something?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What is the connection with ADSB and mode S ?

ADS-B information is transmitted in mode S “extended squitter” messages.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Aug 15:06
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

ADS-B information is transmitted in mode S “extended squitter” messages.

To be even more precise, Mode S ES is one way of transmitting ADS-B, in the US there is also UAT besides formerly defined VDL Mode 2 and 4, which are not used for ADS-B to my knowledge. I am mentioning this, because in some cases service and transport layer are getting mixed and this can lead to confusion.

Last Edited by TobiBS at 21 Aug 22:38
P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

At this moment (Tuesday noon) FR24 shows several gliders over EBKH Balen-Keiheuvel so they must be transmitting ADS-B. It is a perfect day for gliding so there will be many more aloft, still it confirms my impression that gliders are more and more installing mode-S+ADS-B capable transponders. But I understand that they usually install Flarm first.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

At this moment (Tuesday noon) FR24 shows several gliders over EBKH Balen-Keiheuvel so they must be transmitting ADS-B.

I think you will find FR24 receives FLARM broadcasts as well as ADS-B.

EGTK Oxford

Flightradar24 can show FLARM aircraft. You can check whether an aircraft is picked up by Flightradar24 through ADS-B, mode-S mulitlateration or FLARM by clicking on an aircraft, if it says that the radar is T-FLARM1 then the aircraft has FLARM. For mode-S multilateration it says T-MLAT1. For ADS-B you get the name of the specific Flightradar24 receiver, like T-EDDH3.
Flightradar24 gets its FLARM data from Open Glider Network.

ESTL

Actually FR24 is the reason some pilots told me they turn off the equipment if notreally necessary by airspace regulation. They don’t want to feed a company making millions by exploiting other peoples privacy. I, too, think they should ask first, but I keep the XPDR running anyway. Although I might need to install Mode-S some time in the future I am not eager to have ADS-B out then.

The same with FLARM and OGN. Especially in Germany people care about their privacy. FLARM has implemented a “stealth mode” where data is flagged just to be used for traffic alerts and not be tracked, but within ADS-B you don’t have that chance.
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
Sign in to add your message