Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FLARM - equipment options and how well does it work around Europe?

It was ADS-B in this case, but my 530W is showing FLARM targets as well.
I use a TRX1500A connected via ARINC 429.

United Kingdom

How would an active TAS system fit into this (e.g. Avidyne TAS605), with merging of dual-mode targets being necessary?

Merging works with ADS-B and TAS because of this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Merging works with FLARM and ADS-B because the TRX can do it.
As far as I know the GNS can only accept a single traffic system, so there is no merging on the GNS.
So combining another traffic system is not possible

United Kingdom

Indeed, the TRX must be doing it, but I wonder how they do it. The FLARM data packet doesn’t AFAIK contain any piece of data which is common to the Mode S emission from the same target (and you could have Mode C – or even Mode A! – with FLARM so the transponder is not emitting anything useful). That leaves only the obvious method of merging targets in similar 3D (2D if the target is Mode A + FLARM) positions, but the azimuth on TAS is not all that accurate.

Administrator

ADS-B out, Mode S and FLARM use the ICAO 24bit aircraft identifier. in FLARM it is the first field in the data packet. http://ediatec.ch/pdf/FTD-014-FLARM-Configuration-Specification.pdf local copy

Mode A and C obvious not.

Last Edited by mdoerr at 20 Aug 07:29
United Kingdom

OK; learn something every day! So in a FLARM box you are supposed to config the same 24 bit ID as in your Mode S? Or does it pick it off your own Mode S TXP emission?

So Mode S + FLARM will be merged easily, but that still leaves Mode A/C + FLARM.

Administrator

Yes, the FLARM unit has to be configured with the 24bit ID. The TRX1500A has a FLARM module integrated and no separate FLARM box.

I have checked the manual of the TRX1500A. It doesn’t do a merging. FLARM warnings have priority. Basically it will ignore all Transponder warnings, if there is a FLARM warning. Mode A and C are not used at all.

United Kingdom

Can you bring an active TAS into this system at all?

What is a “transponder warning”?

Administrator

No you cannot bring another system. There is no input for another system and the GNS can handle only one traffic system

United Kingdom

OK; let me get this straight in my mind…

You can merge ADS-B IN and FLARM, using the TRX, into a certified display device.

You can merge ADS-B IN and active TAS, using various ways e.g. the Garmin TAS (or Avidyne once available), into a certified display device.

You can merge FLARM and active TAS with Mode S targets, into a certified display device.

What happens with FLARM and active TAS with non Mode S targets?

Can the TRX display any uncertified ADS-B targets? I doubt it since these cannot be displayed on a certified display device. Yet most of the “lost cost ADS-B” activity is uncertified.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message