Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GSR56 (merged)

I have the IOS app WeatherMaps (with premium subscription) that shows precip (rain or snow) and lightings with a 5mn refresh rate (15mn when you download it without premium). I always use it on the ground, because of the 5mn refresh rates, but I’d never trust it when airborne (even if could retreive the updates with 3G or 4G) and use it as CB avoidance system.

LSGL

No more METARs and TAFs with GSR56 & G500 after v7.0 upgrade

Hello,

everything is in the title.
I had the metars and tafs on my G500 via the GSR56 module, but since the upgrade of the G500 with the latest v7.0 version, I have the colored flags indicating the airports wx conditions (moving map) but when I select one airport and display the wx, I got NO DATA for both METAR & TAF options.
All other GSR56 wx features (precip, lighting, sigmets / airmets, IR clouds and winds aloft) are ok.

Has anyone with a G500 and GSR56 experienced the same ?

LSGL

What did Garmin say about it?

EGTK Oxford

Garmin UK says nothing!! They remained silent when my avionic shop asked.
Now we’re heading to Garmin US, and apparently things are moving.
They’re investigating I guess…

LSGL

I would like some feedback from pilots that have practical experience with the GSR56.

• How useful are the various features it offers?
  • What are the cost elements associated with owning/operating it?
  • Comparison to other products on the market including products for the US market (GDL69)
LFPT, LFPN

Any input on this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There was a earlier thread concerning this equipment that involved @Emmanuel and @AFKAE

The GSR56 does not seem to be widely used in Europe…

LFPT, LFPN

OK; maybe Avidyne cornered the (very small) market for 5-digit fully installed MFD-displayed Iridium WX with the MLX770 – mentioned here – by the time Garmin came along.

Administrator

I know quite a few people with it. Works well and it integrates well with other Garmin kit. It is essentially a fixed ADL-120. I had the chance to install in the Meridian and kept the Golze product. The data was just as good when I did my research a couple of years ago and Sebastian is a great responsive developer.

If you really want integrated they buy it but it is going to work out 10x more than an ADL-120 and data costs much higher. The GDL69 is different as it has access to XM weather data but in Europe that does you no good.

Last Edited by JasonC at 24 Aug 17:43
EGTK Oxford

I know quite a few people with it

What aircraft types?

One MLX770 installation I know of was 15k GBP, not including any compatible MFD.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message