Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GSR56 (merged)

Mostly PA46.

EGTK Oxford

Obviously my company is competing hard with the GSR56. There seem to be quite a number of devices but most come into the market with new planes, especially the Cirrus G1000. They call it “Global Connect” but that is just the Cirrus name for the GSR56.

It seem to be a good product and data link weather is a great tool no matter which vendor you choose. The main downside of the GSR56 is simply the cost. It cost a lot to run and a lot more to install. Running the GSR56 for a year could be the same expense as buying our ADL140 and running it.

For those intereste Garmin just changed their pricing model. At least they now have the same price for all planes, no longer charging the turbine planes double:
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/connext/satellite-services/sign-up/#agreePricingText
http://static.garmin.com/apps/fly/files/support/satelliteservices/piston-pricing.html
http://static.garmin.com/apps/fly/files/support/satelliteservices/turbine-pricing.html

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I have used the GSR56 for one flight so far and it worked really well. It is certainly nice to get the weather situation as an overlay on the MFD, this was in an SR22T.
This kind of weather info is second best to a weather radar and much appreciated. I am not familiar with the costs of running it although the owner says that 40 downloads/month is included in their subscription. I guess you could easily do 10 downloads in a flight if weather is nasty.

ESSZ, Sweden

This thread is very interesting for me, as the Cirrus that I purchased back in May of this year has the GSR56 installed (Garmin Global connect in Cirrus speak) I discovered that the Garmin subscription was $100/month. This is just too expensive for me as a sole operator flying 100 – 150 hours per year with IFR trips every other weekend. All of these subscriptions start to add up. I had even contemplated going for the ADL120 as the overall cost of running this system would be more cost effective. I accept that without it, it does reduce my despatch rate, however, we fly for fun and can always go the next day.

I wasn’t aware of the new pricing structure (in effect a price drop) thanks @Sebastian_G. At $80 a month I might give it a try, plus they would give me 3 month FOC at the end of 12 months as I already have one installed that hasn’t been active in 6 months.

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 25 Aug 07:50
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

more info here..

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/connext/satellite-services/

https://static.garmincdn.com/apps/fly/files/support/satelliteservices/pricing.html

I would seem with new pricing structure, you don’t have any individual download costs for packet data. I read it as I would automatically get weather downloads every 10 mins for 12 flight hours per month when on the ‘150’ plan and 30 mins of voice communications?

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 25 Aug 08:11
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob2701 wrote:

I discovered that the Garmin subscription was $100/month

What do you get for that price? I note that the price per weather request is pretty high too ($ 4 for the “Plus Plan”)

Rob2701 wrote:

I wasn’t aware of the new pricing structure (in effect a price drop) thanks @Sebastian_G. At $80 a month I might give it a try, plus they would give me 3 month FOC at the end of 12 months as I already have one installed that hasn’t been active in 6 months.

@Rob2701, where does the $80/month come from?

The question is what cost/benefit you get from having a permanent (365/365) subscription. One of the big advantages of @Sebastian_G’s (Golze Engineering’s) solution is that you can activate an Iridium plan according to your needs instead of paying an annual subscription. You annual (fixed) cost is then the DWD 80 €/y subscription. On top of that, your variable costs element are the Iridium plans which start at 9,30 € for 3 days, and usage which amounts to about 1,20 €/download (4 packets) every 15 minutes (if you use automated downloads). Even a full-time Iridium subscription would only amount to 354 €/y

VAT not included for any of the Golze pricing mentioned above.

How often do you really need in-flight weather? Isn’t it so that the only times is when there is convective weather forecast on, or in the vicinity of, your route?

My experience with the ADL-120/130 so far is that I made a 1200 € investment (not counting the tablet) in HW that I hardly ever use, but when I need it, it is invaluable! That seems to equate to one year’s subscription to a Garmin Weather plan!

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

where does the $80/month come from?

See my post above, it has the links to Garmin giving details of the $80 per month.Aviathor wrote:

The question is what cost/benefit you get from having a permanent (365/365) subscription. One of the big advantages of @Sebastian_G’s (Golze Engineering’s) solution is that you can activate an Iridium plan according to your needs instead of paying an annual subscription.

Yes I agree with you, The ADL system offers great flexibility, but I already have the GSR56 installed in my Cirrus, therefore no associated hardware costs.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Peter wrote:

OK; maybe Avidyne cornered the (very small) market for 5-digit fully installed MFD-displayed Iridium WX with the MLX770 – mentioned here – by the time Garmin came along.

I doubt it. It’s an option on all new higher end G1000 installations, don’t know if anyone has it as standard equipment. So DA42s, SR22s, Mirages, Meridians, TBMs, Mustangs, Phenoms, etc. Avidyne might be doing better in the retrofit market but I doubt they can touch Garmin in factory new installations.

Last Edited by Martin at 25 Aug 11:11

Martin wrote:

Mustangs

Actually no, it isn’t allowed in the Mustang at all at this time. May be possible after the next software upgrade.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Actually no, it isn’t allowed in the Mustang at all at this time. May be possible after the next software upgrade.

Thanks for the correction. In that case I’ll replace it with M2, that one should have it (PS: although it has G3000).

Aviathor wrote:

What do you get for that price? I note that the price per weather request is pretty high too ($ 4 for the “Plus Plan”)

The new price list doesn’t have a charge for additional weather requests which is strange. What do you get? Weather every 10 minutes for 12 hours every month (which I read as 72 requests per month, about twice as many as before for 20 % less), it should include subscription for the voice and text service ($40 per month otherwise; this is not clear from the price list hence “should”), 30 minutes of voice, unlimited texts, position reporting subscription ($20 per month otherwise; but not fees for the reports which is a bit strange with unlimited messages, 9 cents per report).

Rob2701 wrote:

I would seem with new pricing structure, you don’t have any individual download costs for packet data.

They’re still there for maintenance reports send via Iridium.

Last Edited by Martin at 25 Aug 12:23
Sign in to add your message