Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GSR56 (merged)

JasonC wrote:

I know many people on Europe with a GSR56 and none have a problem. Is it installation related?

Garmin doesn’t know. There are equally many with a problem, which Garmin freely admits. Do your mates have GTNs? I suspect that the problem is in the GTN software. Certainly all the fixes they have had me do – installing 6.41 and doing a complete reconfiguration (including removing the configuration module :-( ) – have been GTN related.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

It works for phone and some texts, but not weather.

I know many people on Europe with a GSR56 and none have a problem. Is it installation related?

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Jan 22:48
EGTK Oxford

It works for phone and some texts, but not weather.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The fault lies in either the GSR56 or GTN software. Several European users are encountering the fault, which Garmin admits lies with them.

There is no way an installer or dealer can fix it because it requires new software.

There is no timescale promised .

EGKB Biggin Hill

What is the outcome of this, @timothy? Are you saying that you paid for a GSR56 but it doesn’t work, and the shop which installed it cannot fix it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My GSR56 integrates well with the G1000. Connext weather, voice and text all ok.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Is the GSR56 working OK for voice and texts?

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Flyamax wrote:

What does that mean? You get your weather from ADS-B?

No. In theory it comes in via Iridium.

‘cept it doesn’t work.

EGKB Biggin Hill

From here

Timothy wrote:

Garmin Connext weather

What does that mean? You get your weather from ADS-B?

France

Could the GSR56 get a wrong GPS position and thus request a wrong area, which is then displayed offset on the G500 MFD?

The list of possible (software) failures is even a lot longer. The GPS position could be wrong but more likely the image encoding could be wrong or the radar image filtering could be wrong or the radar station itself could have a false return which is then filtered differently by different providers…

What I would look for:
- What did the previous radar images look like? Can you play back a movie of the last images which often helps to identify defects in the image.

- How did the radar overlay with other data? If there is a bad cell in the radar there should be something on the infrared and in most cases also strikes at the same position.

For illustration below an image from the ADL system which shows three cells in southern Italy right now. You see the infrared (blue), radar (green, yellow, red) and strikes (magenta). As all three sources show the weather at the same location you can be pretty sure there is no error.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message