Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vacuum Instruments - which manufacturer is best?

The DI on my Cessna has failed. I suspect its 40 years old and probably overhauled about as many times. So I’m looking at buying a brand new unit.

Does anyone have any recommendation as to which brand is the best? In time I would be looking at replacing all the Vacuum instruments over 3 aircraft and I would like them all to be the same.

Why not replace them with electric ones with a built-in backup battery? This would do away with the need for regular cleaning and overhauls.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Sigmatek.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

It seems curious why one would have a vacuum DI. It makes a lot of sense to have a vacuum AI (and indeed most King autopilot owners are stuck with the KI256, with no easy route that comes with the right paperwork) but a vac DI just means that if/when the vac pump goes, you lose both, and vac instruments suffer from bearing failure due to contamination, probably 10x more than electric ones.

Why not replace them with electric ones with a built-in backup battery? This would do away with the need for regular cleaning and overhauls.

All the standalone electric options seem to cost thousands, and you have the paperwork issue relative to the aircraft TC (unless there is a type specific STC).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

DI – direction indicator, not attitude attitude indicator. Electric with back- up battery doesn’t apply.
With any vacuum gyros, contamination shouldn’t be an issue if filters are correctly maintained.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

It seems curious why one would have a vacuum DI

It may be curious but that’s the norm in “steam gauge” aircraft. Of course you always have some backup for the DI in the form of the compass.

To me an Aspen unit seems to be the logical replacement for the basic instruments. If you have a VFR only aircraft the base VFR model is very reasonable, and can be software upgraded to a full HSI presentation for IFR use. To the OP: If the DI has gone the Attitude Indicator might not be far behind.

Last Edited by Neil at 04 Sep 08:57
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

All the standalone electric options seem to cost thousands, and you have the paperwork issue relative to the aircraft TC (unless there is a type specific STC).

Isn’t that limited to aeroplanes with autopilots where AI is part of the system? E.g. S-TEC 50 won’t create that problem. Changing vacuum AI for electrical on an N-reg can be done as a minor alteration AFAIK.

PS: I would also think about Aspen.

Last Edited by Martin at 04 Sep 09:45

Changing vacuum AI for electrical on an N-reg can be done as a minor alteration AFAIK.

Not so, sadly. You still need the redundancy. A while ago when I was writing this up I made some notes on this topic. Search for “KI256”. Also multiple threads here, with NCyankee being the expert.

an Aspen unit seems to be the logical replacement for the basic instruments

The EFD-1000 is a popular “high bang for the buck” option but at an installed cost of about 10x more than I suspect the OP wants to pay.

With any vacuum gyros, contamination shouldn’t be an issue if filters are correctly maintained.

IME, a KI256 lasts a few years at most. I have a spare on the shelf And I change all the filters at every Annual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Out of interest – how much is an Aspen? I suspect my DI is heading towards an overhaul at the very least. If there’s a moderate chance that the AI is not far behind it, I’m wondering if it might make more sense to spend the overhaul money on an upgrade.

EGTT, The London FIR

According to the price list it starts at 5k$ for the Evolution 1000 VFR PFD and 11k$ for the Evolution 1000 Pro PFD. Don’t know of the street prices, though.

Are there sensible alternatives?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message