Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Replacement of a stall warner with a heated version - N-reg TB20?

You may have more luck finding an STC’d (heated) angle of attack indicator….

In fact if there is no flap position integration then I believe no STC is required as it is a minor alteration under the new FAA guidance (2013)…

Of course an AoA indicator is non-required and is not certified to replace your stall indicator…but since your airplane cannot be certified for FIKI a heated stall indicator is (presumably?) not required either….

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 24 Oct 01:11
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

@Peter

What is installed on the FIKI equipped tb21 ?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

What is installed on the FIKI equipped tb21 ?

AFAIK the TB21 with the CAV TKS system is not certified for FIKI (for N reg at least)… people use the term generically, but for a non-FIKI (N- reg) it is referred to only as inadvertent ice protection…

Refer to list of aircraft on CAV site:

https://www.caviceprotection.com/products-services/ice-protection-systems

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 24 Oct 06:02

What does the STC about the stall warning? It might be that the unheated one performs ok, when the system is used as advertised. I never did a TKS on TB20 but did participate at two installs on P210, can’t recall about the stall warning though.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

AnthonyQ wrote:

AFAIK the TB21 with the CAV TKS system is not certified for FIKI (for N reg at least)… people use the term generically, but for a non-FIKI (N- reg) it is referred to only as inadvertent ice protection…

I’ve flown a SE-reg TB20 with TKS which was approved for flight into known icing. At least that’s what the limitations section of the DGAC approved AFMS said. “Flight into known icing conditions is approved provided that the following equipment is installed … and serviceable …” That was a factory-installed TKS system, though.

There is no mention in the AFMS of a heated stall warner and the electric diagram doesn’t show one.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You’re right, I should say factory TKS equipped Tb21. Maybe it has been assessed ?

For information, my C182T (no turbo, no deice) has a heated pitot and stall warner (working together).
I will dig the IPC to give some references, in case it helps, which is uncertain…

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’ve flown a SE-reg TB20 with TKS which was approved for flight into known icing. At least that’s what the limitations section of the DGAC approved AFMS said. “Flight into known icing conditions is approved provided that the following equipment is installed … and serviceable …” That was a factory-installed TKS system, though.

As I said: not for N-reg

A FIKI (which is a US term, mapping onto US wx services, etc) TB20 does not exist. FIKI needs two (normal size, I think, not a 2nd B&C type) alternators for example, which the factory never did.

The Euro-reg ones are certified for flight in icing conditions as per the POH.

AFAIK the actual performance of the system is identical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes Peter
But do they have heated stall warning ?

You would have to find a TB20/21 owner with a factory installed TKS. I don’t think I know anybody personally.

For sure the system from CAV, with their STC, does not have a heated stall warner, so I am pretty sure the factory installed system would not either.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message