Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Certified ADS-B IN and OUT options (also collision avoidance, privacy, etc)

Snoopy wrote:

d have to go in the books but since mode-s (ehs) at least on the self loading freighters atc can see everything dialed into the mcp (mode control panel) and much more. No more cheating on the speed on approach.

Maybe the citation is the same Jason?

Yep. They can see alt sel and heading selected. I am told the biggest problem is when you have autothrottles as they know if you have selected a speed different from what you are assigned. Whereas for me a speed is a bracket within which I try to stay and there is no speed bug.

EGTK Oxford

This has just popped up on email from IAOPA

I guess ADS-B is not going to get very far in Europe if there is also a law against transmitting the data.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think there is a law against a pilot transmitting the data from their aircraft. I can transmit anything I’m licensed to transmit (including my personal data) without touching GDPR. Transmitting my aircraft’s data in a 1090ES message really as far as GDPR is concerned isn’t really any different than transmitting my callsign and name when I make an amateur radio transmission, or writing my name and address as the return address on a parcel I put in the post. Or indeed transmitting my aircraft callsign, location and altitude when I call ATC. If it were illegal under GDPR to transmit ADS-B messages, then the same would be true about transmitting callsign and location by voice when talking to ATC!

Where GDPR is going to affect things is sites like FR24 (or anyone else) which receive the ADS-B data, store it,and then publish it for all to see.

Also, conveniently for governments (after all they invented GDPR so they have to make sure they don’t inconvenience themselves, just everyone else!) governments have broad opt-outs around GDPR which would likely include any ATC use of ADS-B data (and other data, after all, ATC is already putting your callsign on a flight strip and storing that data, they are already recording ATC communications etc etc. and ATC never asks “Please indicate which data you wish to allow us to store” with your initial call up)

Last Edited by alioth at 28 Sep 15:57
Andreas IOM

I believe that SIL not equal to zero allows certified avionics to display target. SIL equal to 3 is required in order for the position data to be used by ATC.

I have not been able to get an authoritative statement on this, but may soon find out.

It appears there is a number of “cheap” ADS-B OUT emitters which can do SIL=1, even if via a hack. The SIL=0 are definitely invisible on any certified ADS-B IN system.

Somehow I think that the adoption of all this technology is way below what one might think from the press coverage and the constant overt and covert product pushing on social media, otherwise the “visibility matrix” would be well defined by now.

Administrator

SIL of 0 is called out to not be displayed by a certified ADS-B in system in the TSO. My estimate of US GA installs will be around 50% of the fleet by Jan 2, 2020. FAA publishes install numbers every month.

KUZA, United States

SIL of 0 is called out to not be displayed by a certified ADS-B in system in the TSO

Does a SIL=1 ADS-B OUT emitter need a WAAS GPS source?

I think this is the real issue here. There is no dirt cheap way to do a [by implication, certified] WAAS GPS. The Trig TN-72 is one device of interest, but the price is still too high for the wide adoption; I think most GA is looking for €100 or below in total…

My estimate of US GA installs will be around 50% of the fleet by Jan 2, 2020. FAA publishes install numbers every month.

That’s because the US has made it mandatory in transponder-mandatory airspace

Administrator

WAAS is not the issue. Having the right data elements provided by the position source is the issue. C129 can work, but most existing legacy devices such as the KLN94 simply don’t provide the needed data. Position is one of 13 parameters that needs to be supplied. Download 91.227 and read the mandated values to be considered in the broadcast. Also read AC 20-165B for how to get a C129 or any position source approved.

KUZA, United States

Yes, it seems any non WAAS source must be SIL 0. Most transponders are not certified to emit SIL 1 or greater regardless of the GPS source.

My old Garrecht VT-2000 can only be configured with SIL 0 due to its certification, no matter what GPS source you connect on RS232 or ARINC 429.

At least that’s what the producer said. They may be wrong. I wonder if the pre WAAS SBAS Boeing 747s were SIL 0…

LRIA, Romania

AlexTB20 SIL = 0 is for the transponder and the entire system. Posiiion sources do not have to be WAAS. See AC 20-165B. Many of the air carriers will have non WAAS position sources and will be SIL=3. SIL is not the only parameter that must be met.

KUZA, United States

A very interesting proposal in the US to anonymise 1090ES ADS-B, for privacy – here

Privacy options are moving more slowly for aircraft equipped with 1090 MHz Extended Squitter for ADS-B Out. AOPA has been actively engaged in collaborative conversations with the FAA, the National Business Aviation Association, and other industry partners to find an anonymity solution for operators using 1090 MHz ADS-B systems, as well as those utilizing air traffic services, Duke said. The FAA has proposed a concept called “rolling ICAO codes,” in which a participating aircraft would emit randomly assigned ICAO codes that are periodically changed; combined with an anonymous call sign, aircraft would be harder to track. The idea has also been called “private ICAO addresses.”

Administrator
Sign in to add your message