Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Magneto Overhaul / IRAN (inspect & repair as necessary) and USA or Europe?

I asked our engine shop in Oxford about the cost of overhauling a D3000 and got the following response:

“The standard cost to overhaul a dual magneto is £710.00 + VAT Full strip, NDT, detailed testing of all internal components and endurance post overhaul test carried out. All mandatory change items included, as stated I.A.W CMI manual, but includes the following, contact points, brushes, impulse coupling spring (if applicable), all hardware, circlips, locking devices, all rotor bearings". Our shop holds EASA and FAA approvals
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

In that case hopefully all of the USA will send their mags to Oxford!

There has to be more detail involved, because £710+VAT (or €800+VAT from Belgium) is a good deal less than $1500 or so. It is virtually unheard of the USA being more expensive on GA hardware or servicing.

What the explanation is, I don’t know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I paid 749€ + VAT to a german Part 145 facility for a D3000 overhaul in late 2016.
The overhaul included :
“overhaul after 4 years or 500h operation time. Inclusive coating& standard parts as follows: main contact points, ball bearing,spring impulsecoupling, felt washer, felt strip, self-lockingscrew, nuts for coil”
Discarded components were returned in a separate bag along the magneto.

Guillaume wrote:

I paid 749€ + VAT to a german Part 145 facility for a D3000 overhaul in late 2016.
The overhaul included :
“overhaul after 4 years or 500h operation time. Inclusive coating& standard parts as follows: main contact points, ball bearing,spring impulsecoupling, felt washer, felt strip, self-lockingscrew, nuts for coil”
Discarded components were returned in a separate bag along the magneto.

So it looks like our facility is on the mark with a competitive price!

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Any 2019 price for a D3000 overhaul in Europe?

LRIA, Romania

4-year overhaul incl. standard parts of a Bendix D6LN-3000 EUR 755 + VAT (current price in October 2019) at Roeder in Egelsbach/Germany (www.roeder.aero). Turn-around time 8 – 10 working days. Two other overhaul shops in Germany have a turn-around time of 2 – 3 days but are more expensive at ca. EUR 1.300 + VAT.

Contact is “Overhaul Department” at +49 6103 4002 189.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Guys I highly recommend PMM Wings at Belgium. They have been doing all my mag work and at excellent prices with incredibly fast turn around time.
The price/performance ratio for anything firewall forward is really fantastic. Check them out. They also very fast in responding to emails.
http://www.pmmwingservice.aero/

Switzerland

I called Roeder some time ago and the guy told me they speak only German and deal only with German customers. I should add that others here have disputed that this could possibly be true, but it is worth checking if you are not based in Germany. They also went bust fairly recently, which usually has implications for anyone who has stuff there at the time it happens.

Above links contain some other candidates for overhaul work, FWIW.

BTW it is often confused (I’ve done it too) between an overhaul and an inspection. For ~700 you might get an inspection+repair (IRAN). An overhaul tends to cost more because they have to strip the castings, NDT them, repaint, etc. Prices in the US are in a similar area AFAICT.

On a D3000 I would take absolutely no chances. If it breaks in a big way, you are going in only one direction, and it isn’t going to be upwards

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Straubing, Roeder .. both are arrogant and over priced. I couldnt get any help from Straubing for anything less than 4 digits euros even for a simple ASI overhaul.
I had my ASI overhauled in UK and got my mags done in Belgium at PMM Wings.

Switzerland

Don’t overhaul your magneto, get a Surefly electronic mag ;-)

But seriously, they seem to be the bee’s knees according to people who installed them.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message