Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KI256 problems, replacement options, etc

The Garmin GI275 may become relevant as a KI256 replacement.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The AI can be the root cause for that “Bonanza” effect, i.e. the constant up and down when on Autopilot. There’s a very slow up and down, of +/- 50-200ft, which usually is a worn out trim servo. The shorter up and down, high frequency, can have many reasons.
In our case, it turns out it was the Attitude Indicator. The KFC150’s pitch is connect to it, and if it wears down, it apparently gives changing signals.

Just for info.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

It was the AI allright. Worn bearings.

EBST, Belgium

The pitch oscillation issue is complex. Fundamentally the cause is either a dead band (hysteresis) in the control loop, or excessive proportional gain.

The causes can be

• an under-tensioned servo capstan cable (this is nearly always given as the reason but actually rarely is)
  • a broken / worn out tachometer – see my KFC225 failures article
  • some damage or excessive wear in the KI256
  • oscillation of the KI256 instrument in the panel; the cause is complex and related to the crap way the KI256 signals are demodulated in the KC225 (Socata & Av. Straubing spent some time on this and produced a largely bogus fix comprising of rubber grommets for mounting the LH panel). This effect also helps to wear out the servo motors faster
  • encoding altimeter gray code generating some crap codes (the King autopilots reject obvious huge errors only)
  • static system leaks (cracked pipes, water in them, etc)
  • shagged servo motor (worn out commutator)

Some of the above happen only in certain altitude bands, and only in certain w&b configurations relative to the envelope.

Administrator
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Local copy of AD

Whoops…

I am amazed they sold 54! However this does show how keen people are to replace the KI256.

A google on this topic does find rather a lot of reports in the US.

Administrator

Uups – so basically it doesn’t work and aircraft equipped with it are grounded for IFR and night operations for an indefinite time.

That’s gonna be expensive for the owners…

Germany

Not the first time… the KFD840 (some notes here) also lost its IFR certification. It got dropped soon afterwards. That was ~ 10 years ago. HBK stopped development of own products about 17 years ago; all later stuff was done by outside contractors, or bought-in and rebadged.

Administrator

Makes the gripes about the Aspen RSM module seem almost petty…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

There is a vast difference in numbers sold. Aspen has been a very popular product for years. I haven’t seen their accounts but looking at some of their factory videos I reckon they have been – in the good times – pushing out 100+ EFD boxes per month. The KI300 has sold poorly – same as all HBK products they have brought out since about 2003. So the report of 54 failures is amazing; it could be close to 100% of the number sold.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message