Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trio Avionics / Trutrak autopilot - possible FAA STC (but no EASA STC) & no ILS no HDG no pitch trim

Why are both the Trio and Trutrak installation costs so low compared with the Garmin? Installing two servos, a controller and wiring should take the same labour for any of the systems. The extra Garmin install time doesn’t equate to what’s needed for the G5.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

dejwu wrote:

rapidly fading away technology

Well, ILS will be with us for few years more. I hope we’ll get rid of NDB before decommissioning ILS.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Btw, to whom it may concern: (The STC Group + Trio) was attending Jena Cessna fly-in and are scheduled for Wyk fly-in as well.

I need an AP for my Arrow IV and Garmin didn’t certified the recent AP for the retractable Arrow.

Peter stressed the lack of ILS capabilities, but right now I am happy with a capability to flight with wings level for a certain period of time, in particular for more than 5 minutes IMC. Right now I have not a capable device for it so all my flight, sometimes over 5 hours is all by hand.

I went to check the List of EASA Supplemental Type Certificates List of EASA Supplemental Type Certificates
https://www.easa.europa.eu/download/stc/STC_WebList.pdf

and I don’t find either the trutrak and trio there!

BR

LPSR, Portugal

dejwu wrote:

Tru + EAA STC + install = 5k + 0.1k + 1k = 6.1k
The AML for the TruTrak is extremely limited (C172F through -S), that price is hardly a generic statement.
dejwu wrote:
a rapidly fading away technology
ILS is not going anywhere thanks to CAT.
lmsl1967 wrote:
an AP for my Arrow IV
Retractable PA28s are on the list. No date at this point but they are making some headway in the “currently on-going” block, so they will soon have to upgrade some types from “Planned in the next 12m” to “on-going”. Also surprising they quote only the -180 and -200 but not the -201s. I would have guessed the development time to be more for the -RT than for the 201.
On a PA28 FB group I watch, anytime the question comes up we encourage people to send an email to Garmin so they get their priorities straight.
lmsl1967 wrote:
I don’t find either the trutrak and trio there
They might rely on grandfathered FAA STC. Check this thread.
ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

On a PA28 FB group I watch, anytime the question comes up we encourage people to send an email to Garmin so they get their priorities straight.

Already did it, even spoke with them during an airshow.

I was also amazed by the inclusion only for the retractable 180 and 200, but what can one say again company business logic? Let’s wait, right now I am probably go for the trutrak just for the sake of having a wings leveler with some additional capabilities.

LPSR, Portugal

According to the manufacturer the Tristram is not certified by EASA.

Still no options for me.

LPSR, Portugal

I have just spoken to Trio at Aero Friedrichshafen.

As is known, this autopilot does not do ILS. It does only GPS. They said this is OK because there are GPS overlays for virtually every ILS, which may be true in the US but is basically nonsense here, and anyway the whole point of ILS is getting back down if the signal is jammed, etc.

But there is a rather bigger issue: the FAA won’t let them certify it for driving a trim servo! So, the autopilot display shows TRIM UP or TRIM DOWN and you have to turn the trim wheel manually. I could not believe this…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think this all depends on what you want from auto flight and what you are prepared to pay.

Some autoflight systems are going to take place thirty pounds of payload from your aircraft but return a very capable system will deliver a CAT1 approach

I would take the view that in my personal aircraft just having a light system that will keep the aircraft on a GPS track ( even with the occasional trim input ) to keep me fresh if I have to fly an approach to the limits manually. All this can be managed by the Trio system at a rock bottom price.

“But there is a rather bigger issue: the FAA won’t let them certify it for driving a trim servo! So, the autopilot display shows TRIM UP or TRIM DOWN and you have to turn the trim wheel manually. I could not believe this…”

The S-Tec 30 and 50 autopilots have always been like this. We have the 30 in our PA28 and the lack of autotrim is no problem at all.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message