Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trio Avionics / Trutrak autopilot - possible FAA STC (but no EASA STC) & no ILS no HDG no pitch trim

It is in a worse category than overtly flying an NDB approach but actually with a GPS. That is not illegal. Even if you published a video, they could not get you for it.

This autopilot is illegal for flying approaches, and sure nobody can tell you are not hand flying (actually AP flying is very obvious relative to hand flying, on a radar track, but proving it is another matter) but if you then publish a youtube video showing you doing it (as so many pilots are these days) then you are providing the proof. Or an accident survivor… hard to argue with someone if you are dead.

Now take e.g. the German gross negligence insurance angle… and all of a sudden everything changes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
I don’t exactly understand the “visibly illegal” part.. I would think its quite difficult to prove that you were flying a coupled approach,not just hand flew..
EETU, Estonia

Peter wrote:

Now, you can hardly fly an IAP covertly, so a lot of flying with a Trutrak autopilot will be very visibly illegal. The whole world will see you on FR24 doing some illegal flying. This is a JOKE, surely…

Joke: C’mon looks like the ideal AP for an E-IR holder & “VFR in GTN750”?

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Jan 15:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There is a review of the Trutrak autopilot here

Seems to work well, but that little user interface looks rather fiddly, although the panel space saving will be good for many.

The lack of a trim servo is highlighted; this guy is clearly not used to having that I would really miss it. Pitch trim is central to flying…

This is really interesting and I doubt many knew about it

Now, you can hardly fly an IAP covertly, so a lot of flying with a Trutrak autopilot will be very visibly illegal. The whole world will see you on FR24 doing some illegal flying. This is a JOKE, surely…

Also:

And as posted before, no ILS (or VOR) which is a big drawback for IFR in Europe.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Depending on the aircraft in question, I would carefully examine the inability to fly an ILS or even a heading, on these autopilots.

Trio is one of those with no heading hold. But I don’t think it is that much of an issue flying it with a gps track.
In the end it is far better option than not having one. Has all altitude hold, preselect, gpss and even 3D gps approach capability (down to 500feet).
There is currently a group buy on Trio for PA24.. there are more than 33 orders placed and the purchase price dropped to $5795. Just ridiculous compared to what an STEC costs.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 05 Nov 14:43
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

So Trio or Trutrak cannot ever have a “normal” EASA STC?

to be more clear, I was referring to the “single, one off validation”. that is impossible for trio, trutrak etc.
If the want however they can apply themselves to EASA for the “proper” EASA STC. This is still possible. But then without TSO, they have to work a lot and getting EASA to approve. It is just about whether they would be interested in this investment. Like Garmin did for their nonTSO GFC-500.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 05 Nov 14:50
Switzerland

the Trio does not come with TSO parts ….
The funny thing is EASA did the exact same one off approval for Trio on a EASA Grumman about 2 years ago. When I wrote them about my case and told them they had already approved Trio before, they admitted they screwed up back in 2019 and should not have approved trio.

That’s totally hilarious – I thought 100% of EASA was reading EuroGA but evidently only 50% of it does

So Trio or Trutrak cannot ever have a “normal” EASA STC?

Depending on the aircraft in question, I would carefully examine the inability to fly an ILS or even a heading, on these autopilots.

Administrator

reviving the old thread.
Lately I’ve been talking to EASA to get the FAA STC for trio autopilot approved.
I had already done the “basic approval” process for my shoulder harnesses. This time however the whole process got stuck in a dead end because the Trio does not come with TSO parts.

The funny thing is EASA did the exact same one off approval for Trio on a EASA Grumman about 2 years ago. When I wrote them about my case and told them they had already approved Trio before, they admitted they screwed up back in 2019 and should not have approved trio.

so anyway, has anyone found any other alternative way to resolve this?
The only option EASA gave me was a “non basic” standard STC approval process which of course I am not going to pay for.

Switzerland

I’m sure it won’t meet your needs Peter, but it might well meet mine.

As you know I fly a group-owned TB10. It has no autopilot at all, but otherwise is a good solid aircraft which is quite good for trips of a reasonable length.

I have an IR(R) rather than a full IR, and although I’m fully confident hand-flying in prolonged IMC (I don’t go near anything convective or icy) it can be very tiring and isn’t much fun. Something just to hold the wings level and maintain altitude would be a very nice addition indeed. I can certainly live with adjusting the heading bug rather than having full nav integration and would probably want to fly my approaches by hand anyway, for currency if nothing else ~ I don’t fly as often as some.

At the price suggested it might well be an option. Our group pays higher-than-necessary monthly contributions on the basis that every now and then the treasurer can announce we have a pot of money to spend on something nice.

EGLM & EGTN

The STec 30/50 doesn’t have a torque-limit disconnect system. It’s not really the lack of auto-trim that’s the problem in turbulence (other than the loud beeping and flashing trim command lights), but being a rate-based system rather than attitude based, it can make some significant pitch changes as it attempts to maintain altitude, so consequently speed can go drop significantly or go well up into the yellow arc. In this sort of weather I prefer to disconnect the pitch channel. By comparison, the G3X autopilot (essentially a GFC500) in my RV12 is absolutely brilliant (and does have auto-trim).

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
74 Posts
Sign in to add your message