Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slide in TKM 8.33 Khz Nav Comm coming soon (KX155 replacement)!

boscomantico wrote:

Too late. Most KX155s have already been replaced in recent years.

Oh no! They are still hanging around, lots of them !

Bathman wrote:

Well it’s finally on sale

“This is the pre-certified version of the KX155 replacement” ???

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

“This is the pre-certified version of the KX155 replacement” ???

Yep, was wondering the same. What is that supposed to mean? I guess they still haven’t certified it……

We have two very similar threads, wondering why the hell it is so hard to make a … VHF radio! This is one and this is the other

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know quite a few aircraft which had two KX155’s fitted. The top one driving a glideslope localisers and the lower one a VOR.

The avionics company recommend the fitting of two replacement Garmin nav/coms. The bill was huge.

I could never understood why they didn’t just put a trig com in box 2 and then if needed slide this in unit as box 1 when it becomes available.

I see plenty of KX155 units still fitted with the NAV side working and the COM replaced by the very cheapest lash up that could be arranged, there are plenty of panel places to fit a new NAV / COM………….. the big question is can you get enough of the cheapskate bottom feeders to part with the cash to do so ?

Very true.

I know a couple of other aircraft with king 170 and a 175. Then a round trig fitted in-between all the in op stickers and labeled com 3.

I think it’s a good indicator as to how the rest of the aircraft is maintained.

This weird TKM radio has popped up on a US “old junk avionics” site

and the text says This is a slide in replacement for Cessna ARC RT385 radios bought brand new by me in 2015. Works great. Used as a backup radio and hasn’t been on for more than 100 hrs.

It shows up on the TKM website here with this photo

The owner’s manual is here and is dated 1998!

Who knew this stuff even existed?

What is also interesting is that TKM clearly had the in house technology for making radios more than 20 years ago, so clearly not going for the KX1xx slide-in replacement was a business decision. Perhaps facilitated by the ease of repairing the King boxes in the UK versus the near-impossibility of (legally) repairing them in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have seen those and similar kx175 replacements in many ads.

It is simply stupid that nobody cashed in on the tremendous potential for a 155 replacement. Maybe because 8.33 is an European thing? If it was mandated in the us…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I’ve seen them. What amazes me is that they managed to make a product designed in the late 90s look like it was 30 years older. I would be hard pressed to install one of these just for aesthetic reasons.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message