Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slide in TKM 8.33 Khz Nav Comm coming soon (KX155 replacement)!

This would be perfect for my helicopter.

When he says in the video that you can self install …. somehow this seems to easy in EASA land! Does it apply or is that FAA only?

EGKL, United Kingdom

I don’t think you can self install any radio in EASA- or FAA-land.

In FAA-land, a PMA replacement slide-in radio can be pilot-installed, but I very much doubt this firm is going for PMA! The most they will get is a TSO.

In EASA-land, is there a slide-in pilot privileges concession?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Avidyne has FAA self-install approval for the IFD series when replacing the GNS series, under a very specific list of conditions. The conditions are such that the swap would be truly plug-and-play, and a pilot owner can sign if off.

So it can be done. Not to say that TKM will be prepared or able to do the work to get something similar for their navcom. But a nav/com replacement should be more straightforward than a GPS/nav/com.

LSZK, Switzerland

TKM MX155 is now advertised at a price of <…drum roll…> £3900.00. The possibility of slide-in replacement is certainly worth something, but not this much?!

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Administrator

In an email a short while ago, I was informed (naturally somewhat softened) that they would begin shipping out unitis in December.
The price is abit of a disappointment. May be justified, but not a motivator for a convenience upgrade of a non-essential 2nd unit to 8.33

EDM_, Germany

This radio looks horrible, very outdated design, bit like a DIY project rather than professional aviation product. Especially for this price. GARMIN GTR 255 is for the same price (or even a bit less expensive), looks cheap but not DIY and the installation can be done in one day.

LKHK, Czech Republic
Just found this update on AvWeb.

BendixKing’s venerable KX155 remains a gold-plated standard for navcomms, but it’s long overdue for replacement. At Sun ‘n Fun 2018, TKM announced its MX155 digital navcomm, a pin-for-pin replacement for the KX155 that owners can slide right into the tray. TKM’s Vic Casebolt told AVweb this week in this video, that the MX155 has been in development for three years and will be ready to ship in May. Price has not been fixed, but Casebolt cited a target of around $4,000.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Reading this thread is hilarious – a bit like the electric plane thread and all the CGI development grant suction projects there

I think somebody will produce an electric plane which carries six 150kg passengers 1500nm at 400kt and recharges from a mains socket in 2hrs, before TKM learn how to make a RADIO for which the technology existed completely well before Apollo 1

It is really a tribute to the desperate hunger for anything to fill editorial column-inches in the aviation press, which sees so little happening from one year to the next that they would happily run a major feature on a new door handle colour on this year’s SR22.

Administrator

Why waited TKM so long? The 8.33khz mandate in Europe, especially in Germany is mandatory since this year for all aircrafts. Many airfields n Germany changed the frequencys to an 8.33 khz. Many aircraft owners changed already the Nav/Com and paid the costly rewiring. TKM lost already a huge number ofg potentially customers. And as others already mentioned, a bad and ugly design.

EDFC, Germany
Sign in to add your message