Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slide in TKM 8.33 Khz Nav Comm coming soon (KX155 replacement)!

It’s amazing how long avionic development takes these days…. And how many formerly reputable companies fail to deliver devices which they have announced for years.

Maybe the aviation press should be a bit more careful how they help generating hypes about vapourware, i.e. not publish any “tests” or “sneek previews” of any such avionics before they actually are certified. But that is like training a dog to ignore a very inviting lamppost…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I stopped by the TKM booth at Sun’n Fun yesterday to look at their new unit, and lets just say that the build quality seemed less than desirable. The knobs felt very flimsy. I would be surprised if it holds up more than a few years.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

To resurrect this thread. Its quite astonishing that there is no re-use of form factors a la KX1XX and 2 " GPS models.
Now if this company NAV2000 can build a 1" NAV receiver I can’t imagine it must be that difficult for TRIG to build and certify a unit and integrate NAV function in TY96..
Why it takes ages for TKM I have no clue, but from price point perspective alone its not that attractive

Last Edited by Vref at 22 May 15:44
EBST

@Vref, Trig is releasing a NAV-COM this year, I talked to them at Friedrichshafen a few weeks ago and they confirmed it is coming up. Unlike TKM, they seem to keep their promises.

Speaking of Val Avionics, the company behind NAV2000 you mentioned, they have a still more interesting gadget, INS429, which is a standard 3-inch CDI/VDI with a built-in NAV radio and marker beacon receiver:

The design is clearly from the 1980s, but who am I to complain if it works properly? It would be quite convenient as a NAV 2 if you are short on space in the radio stack. It’s relatively inexpensive, too.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 22 May 19:54
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thx for the pointers Ultranomad! Let’s hope for the TRIG certified solution, the TKM MX155 looks a bit flimsy.. and if they are really smart, a NAV/COM unit with an (optional) ADS-B in/out solution (GPS to interface with existing xpdrs) inside to make it future bullet proof.

Last Edited by Vref at 23 May 09:46
EBST

Too late. Most KX155s have already been replaced in recent years.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Actually I still think there’s a good market. I see a lot of aircraft where the box2 is still an old KX155.

But yes a couple of years late to the market

Last Edited by Bathman at 14 Feb 20:57

That second hand one I think is gone. We asked about it… Seemed a bit suss TBH.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
Sign in to add your message