Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SkyEcho - low cost ADS-B (approved UK only)

Yep, there are filters in the settings for Skydemon (I thought only vertical, but maybe horizontal too).

As for why it wouldn’t work for you, I don’t have a good answer. Was it fully charged before you left? All I could really think of was that it wasn’t fully charged and you used all of the battery on the way to the airport. One other possibility is – are you absolutely certain it wasn’t switched on? By default it auto adjusts the brightness of the LED indicators and sometimes I think it gets it a bit wrong and they can be difficult to see. You can over-ride this in settings if needed.

As a final note – I doubt it is likely to have any consequence, but generally speaking these portable devices use a speed switch to decide on air or ground mode, since a squat switch is unlikely to be available to them. I am not sure it’s the best idea to be driving around with it on as you will be representing a low flying aircraft.

If you still have problems – I have found the uAvionix guys helpful.

United Kingdom

Alpha_Floor wrote:

But once in the aircraft it would not turn on no matter how long I pressed the power button.

The auto intensity of the LEDs was probably not set up correctly. You can set it up from the web interface. I guess that the unit was turned on.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

The auto intensity of the LEDs was probably not set up correctly

I promise this was not it. I thought of that but the device didn’t show up in the Wifi list. And on passing my hand over the LEDs they were all dark.

The device wouldn’t turn on at home either (darker environment). It only came back to live when I plugged it in to a USB C.

EDDW, Germany

Interesting. I have never experienced this.

If you want to post the coredump here, maybe there is some information in there I can parse.

It should be accessible at: http://192.168.4.1/coredump

ESME, ESMS

I saw this video about SafeSky App on YT

https://www.safesky.app/en
This looks like poor men’s ADSB in/out. Very smart though. ADSB ground stations are replaced by cellular phone antennas.
It’s free, I installed it and will try it ASAP
It requires most pilots use it though to be useful, as well as FLARM or ADSB.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

It also requires that you are within range with cellular antennas. The good news is that it"s usefull where there are a lot of planes, around uncontrolled fields. But still as stratux/flarm and PA products, it may give the feeling that all traffic can be seen on screen, which is not the case.

LFMD, France

Pirho wrote:

as you will be representing a low flying aircraft.

…and any ATSU with airspace to the surface and an ADS-B receiver will MOR you.

Unfortunately the excuse “I was using it in the car” will instead get you done for breaking the wireless telegraphy act instead.

Andreas IOM

@Jean frustratingly that F33A 51YD sold to the first person who turned up and flew it away. No test flight, no pre buy, lust or love in the times of Cholera :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Alpha_Floor wrote:

I promise this was not it. I thought of that but the device didn’t show up in the Wifi list. And on passing my hand over the LEDs they were all dark.

The device wouldn’t turn on at home either (darker environment). It only came back to live when I plugged it in to a USB C.

This happened to me again today, while in flight.

The RAM mount detached itself from the window and the thing fell on the right hand seat, wouldn’t turn on. Luckily I had a USB C charger and could “reset” it. I don’t think this is supposed to be normal behaviour? Potentially dangerous if one doesn’t have an alternative GPS.

Luckily I’m flying with dual GPS, a Garmin GLO 2 and the SkyEcho. One is linked to the phone, the other to the iPad.

EDDW, Germany

As I mentioned earlier, please check the codedump at http://192.168.4.1/coredump

Last Edited by Dimme at 04 Apr 21:57
ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message