Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SkyEcho - low cost ADS-B (approved UK only)

Dimme wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, please check the codedump at http://192.168.4.1/coredump

It said “no coredump to download”.

EDDW, Germany

Contact uAvionix. If it is a hardware failure, you should get a new one. They replaced my unit because there was something loose in it when shaking it around.

ESME, ESMS

The Class G skies were very busy today:

In this image below I was avoiding both airspace (that corner of the East Midlands CTA in the bottom left, down to 3000 ft) and an aircraft that was flying a similar level and opposite direction.

SkyDemon fed traffic alerts via bluetooth to my headset. This is really useful because one should not have to be looking down onto the phone all the time and rather keep a look outside.

My conclusion after flying in busy skies today: nobody goes higher than 3000 ft, even if they can.
And also: everybody should have one of these EC devices in my opinion.

EDDW, Germany

Alpha Floor you will get no argument from me about the merits of EC but I fear the lower end of the market has equipment that is lacking in performance largely because the airframe shields the antennas in some directions.

The cleverness of the box design is unfortunately limited by the installation restrictions.

There are reasonably priced devises that if installed in an aircraft correctly can give outstanding performance but as usual the rental sector won’t pay the money to fit them, the renters won’t pay a few extra quid to rent an aircraft with such equipment but will pay to have a bit of kit that they can transport between aircraft that is of inferior performance.

I will now return to my sandbagged emplacement and expect the wrath of those who have PAW & SE but are unable to see the serious drawbacks of such portable equipment.

SkyDemon fed traffic alerts via bluetooth to my headset.

@Alpha_Floor what headset were you using for this feature to work?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Alpha_Floor wrote:

because one should not have to be looking down onto the phone all the time and rather keep a look outside.

Such a display device should be mounted high up on top of the panel. This is usually done with FLARM:

The size is 42 × 25 × 5 mm, and the weight is 10 grams. Works just fine.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A_and_C wrote:

I fear the lower end of the market has equipment that is lacking in performance largely because the airframe shields the antennas in some directions.

I can fetch traffic from the middle of Germany all the way from south Sweden, regardless of how the aircraft is oriented. For close encounters, the SkyEcho EIRP of 43 dBm is more than enough at 1090 Mhz. (TX UK only)

Last Edited by Dimme at 14 Apr 08:30
ESME, ESMS

You are missing the guys in Russia Dimme

I am not sure about the isotrope aspect of PAW & SE installations but all what matters is traffic ahead? even if that is true one should be able to see traffic pop-out & disappear on their screens as they climb & turn? something that I did not see while playing with the two boxes…

The installation, if it’s the right word, are flimsy though, especially PAW

I only care about reported traffic altitudes to position myself
Under LTMA most of them are bellow 3kft in front of me

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Apr 08:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

TX UK only

What does that actually mean? The ones sold outside UK are only receivers? Dumbed down in software? hardware? The UK is the only country where this is explicitly “allowed” ? according to what exactly? I don’t see the difference between this and AIS for boats or ADS-B for drones for that matter.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

RobertL18C wrote:

@Alpha_Floor what headset were you using for this feature to work?

Mine is a Lightspeed Zulu 3. I believe the Bose A20 will do the same.

EDDW, Germany
Sign in to add your message