Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SkyEcho - low cost ADS-B (approved UK only)

LeSving wrote:

What does that actually mean? The ones sold outside UK are only receivers? Dumbed down in software? hardware? The UK is the only country where this is explicitly “allowed” ? according to what exactly? I don’t see the difference between this and AIS for boats or ADS-B for drones for that matter.

They are all the same unit, with TX disabled by default. You have to enable it in the configuration, and by doing so, you have to ensure you’re not breaking the law.

It’s allowed in the UK because the UK CAA explicitly allows it. Technically, nobody knows what kind of device you’re using to emit ADS-B out, and it would work in any other country, but it would be illegal.

ESME, ESMS

What is the precise process for setting up the Skyecho 2 to transmit SIL=1? You need that to be visible on certified ADS-B IN systems. Above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s SIL=1 out of the box if you enable the TX.

SkyEcho_Data_Sheet_V1_8_pdf

ESME, ESMS

A_and_C wrote:

I fear the lower end of the market has equipment that is lacking in performance largely because the airframe shields the antennas in some directions.

And I agree wholeheartedly. But at the moment this is the best that I can do.

If I had my own aircraft, I’d look at fitting an antenna (or two: top and bottom). But for someone like me who just rents aircraft that are mostly badly equipped, it’s the best solution. Some traffic information is better than none at all.

EDDW, Germany

I have a Trig Mode S tx, and almost ordered the ADS-B Trig to match, but held off.
I’m looking for fitted equipment to add ADS-B out and to display traffic. I’ve not found anything. I’ve no fitted nav equipment.
What’s A&C’s equipment ideas?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

but it would be illegal

Sais who? Where does it say it is illegal?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

This type of product is classed as an “intentional radiator” and is thus subject to various regs, which are mostly country dependent. In Europe, all such products are automatically illegal unless operating in a license-free frequency band (and then at below some max power) OR have been approved.

Getting intentional radiators approved is a bit of a “process” which most people try to avoid. At work, I have done it by using pre-approved external devices which do the radiation, but that is a clumsy solution. Also these devices go obsolete; for example I used a Siemens modem, which was then dropped to an outfit called Cinterion, then was dropped and I had to sort out another one. Anybody making a self contained box has to spend some money…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Getting intentional radiators approved is a bit of a “process” which most people try to avoid

I think radio amateurs are the only people who can build intentional radiators without needing approval (in the UK, having an intermediate or advanced licence grants you this). I believe even with ISM (industrial scientific medical) band allocations (e.g. 2.4GHz WiFi, unlicenced) to make an intentional radiator it still requires some level of approval.

Andreas IOM

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/217575338-For-what-items-does-ForeFlight-Mobile-have-audible-alerts-

If I understand correctly you would need ADSB Out to be radiating for FF to issue a traffic alert?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Sais who? Where does it say it is illegal?

uAvionix.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message