Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vacuum AI worn out

Seeking for advice:

During the test flight after an avionic upgrade it was apparent that my vacuum driven AI is taking a long time to errect, the bearings have been noisy for quite some time; due to the low temperatures during the test flights, the problem became more and more apparent. It´s an EDO-AIRE 5000F-06 , it seems to be the originally installed instrument by Cessna from 1980.
So what to do?

- Repair
- Overhaul (that´s what the avionics shop recommended)
- Exchange with new or overhauled vacuum AI
- Exchange with new electric AI (I have one RCA 26EK as backup AI on the right side of the panel), go all electric except the DG.
- or even exchange with an ahrs model, eg RCA2600-3 ?

I looked at the Garmin G5, for now I will stay with the steam gauges….
same with the Aspen, it would render some of the recent upgrades obsolete.

Thanks in advance

Frank

EDFM

Overhaul I would say. The only thing that really wears over time in these indicators are the bearings. Get new bearings in and you have essentially a new instrument.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Do not waste money on a new unit. you can get it overhauled for €500-1000 in a good Avionics shop, and it will be like new. The last one I did in 2009 was € 440.

Overhaul I would say. The only thing that really wears over time in these indicators are the bearings. Get new bearings in and you have essentially a new instrument.

But that (replacing bearings) is not an overhaul, it’s a repair. Big difference. By saying “overhaul !” to the shop, he is obliged to do all elements called for in the overhaul manual of the manufacturer.

Always repair.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That´s why I mentioned both topics, overhaul and IRAN (inspected and repaired as nescessary);

Repair would be around € 700,- , overhaul is somewhat higher, but the instrument is tested and brought to factory specs.

Has anybody any experience with the core trade-in in exchange with an overhauled gyro? Aircraft Spruce (US and EU) offers this.

Regards

Frank

Last Edited by CD135 at 03 Feb 10:50
EDFM

Could you please elaborate on the following: “it would render some of the recent upgrades obsolete”? Apart from the fact that a G5 / Aspen will surely cost much more than an overhauled vacuum AI, what is the downside of “render obsolete”?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

boscomantico wrote:

By saying “overhaul !” to the shop, he is obliged to do all elements called for in the overhaul manual of the manufacturer.

Than I really meant overhaul. Even if basically only the bearings need to be replaced, there are a few things more to be done. The gyro needs to be run-in on the bench for a certain number of hours/days and eventually be re-balanced. Air filters need to be cleaned and/or replaced too. Trying to save those 200 Euros between repair and overhaul will leave you with a half-repaired unit.

EDDS - Stuttgart

@tmo
I meant the avionic upgrades done in the last year:
New Vacuum DG with heading bug and GPSS steering module for the AP; the Aspen is capable of doing all those things and it is a very good unit; if I was starting it all over now, I probably would choose the Aspen.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

Aircraft Instruments Ltd charge about £300 plus VAT and postage to overhaul a vacuum A/H with EASA form 1 and warranty.

They’re not super quick (allow 10-14 days), but they do a decent job.

Last Edited by Jacko at 03 Feb 16:10
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I think you will find it is 2x that if they actually change the bearings, which they really should, especially as there is no legal way to “repair” (i.e. oil) them…

But still much cheaper than a full overhaul.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message