Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Propeller overhaul (merged)

It’s a Hartzell two blade with q-tips (winglets, sort of…)

EHTE, Netherlands

@airways did this include an overhaul of the govenor?

EHTE, Netherlands

No, only the blades and deice boots. 21% VAT is included

EBST, Belgium

Guillaume wrote:

Which prop ?
I overhauled a McCauley C214 and paid 2150 € (without VAT, 2 years ago)

I got a recent quote of £2295+VAT for the same prop.

EIMH, Ireland

I use this very good shop for prop overhauls. They are also good for general maintenance; very nice people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

why do you need to overhaul the prop? is there corrosion? Oil/grease leak? any other visible damage?

Switzerland

As required by the CAA.

EBST, Belgium

The “correct” reason for a CS prop repair might be

• grease coming out at the base of the blade(s) or actually anywhere at all
  • blade(s) having nicks which are too big to dress out with a file / generally bad condition
  • any cracks anywhere
  • corrosion
  • incorrect function

This is how it is done in the US under Part 91, and their safety record proves this is OK. For some reason Europe, particularly the UK, knows better

There are reasons for an overhaul rather than a repair. These can be prop type specific.

Sometimes you have to scrap the prop. For example Hartzell mandate that if 2 or more blades have to be removed for a repair (on the 3B prop I have) then the hub must be scrapped (no NDT concession). The hub costs c. 3k and this pretty well scraps the prop. I don’t know if under Part 91 this is non-mandatory.

Sometimes CS prop has to come off because the oil feed to it is blocked by debris.

Much depends on whether the plane is hangared. Those which are end up with props in a much better condition, over many years.

You can always find examples supporting the European approach. I know one US TB20 owner whose prop failed to work but it turned out that he did not touch it for about 25 years! Presumably he rarely flew (quite possible, since he was one of the top volume posters on the US Socata owner group ) or flew only to really clean airports, because there is no way this could be achieved in normal GA ops over here. Another, TB10, had a prop blade come out at the runway holding point, ripping the engine off its mounts, and he said that isn’t he glad the UK has the 6 year mandatory overhaul

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For Permit Fixed Blade metal props, an NDT check for cracks has been suggested ( not by the LAA) as an occasional safety check, instead of the Macaulay recommended overhaul.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I know one US TB20 owner whose prop failed to work but it turned out that he did not touch it for about 25 years! Presumably he rarely flew (quite possible, since he was one of the top volume posters on the US Socata owner group ) or flew only to really clean airports, because there is no way this could be achieved in normal GA ops over here.

Most planes aren’t flown a lot. A prop like that probably only has 600 or 800 hrs since overhaul. Its not an unusual situation at all.

As per my earlier 2016 post in this thread, I bought my plane with 11 years and 200 hrs on a new prop. It was in perfect condition but was overhauled a few years later, mainly to incorporate a SB. Essentially no new parts were installed at that time.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Sep 19:40
Sign in to add your message