Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN750 and GMA35 remote audio panel

@AdamFrisch
(Please pardon thread resurrection!)
What’s this about a “hidden audio panel” if you install a GTN750? I need to install an audio panel & 8.33 radio, and am desperately trying to control upgrade urges… as I debate making my plane IFR capable.
So maybe best to do me a favor and not answer….aghhhh

Ah… I see Jesse explained later… agghhhhrrgg!!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Feb 14:43
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

What’s this about a “hidden audio panel” if you install a GTN750?

The GTN750 has the option to control the remote Garmin audiopanel GMA-35. The GTN-650 doesn’t have this option.

As the box size of the GTN (behind the panel) is the same for the GTN-650 and GTN-750, you just put the GMA-35 on top of the GTN-750, so it is behind the screen / on top of the GTN-750 body.

You can not do this with the GTN-650.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

A remotely controlled intercom is a nasty single point of failure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A remotely controlled intercom is a nasty single point of failure.

It has a failsafe feature, just like other proper audiopanels and intercoms. When a GTN-750 with remote audio panel fails, you should use the second set, which is automatically tied to second radio.

With a normal intercom or audio panel, it is also normal practice, that it is design such that when your turn it off, or has a failure, you will connect the pilot position to radio #1.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I don’t understand that description. If you had only the one GTN750, how can do select channels etc on the intercom / audio panel?

The other point is that if the GTN750 goes blank, you have lost an awful lot of functionality!

Administrator

@Peter,

Did you change this discription? It might be better to make a seperate topic for this? As the GTN-650 can not be interfaced with a GMA-35. Only a GTN-750 can. This has nothing to do with the orginal topic.

Peter wrote:

I don’t understand that description. If you had only the one GTN750, how can do select channels etc on the intercom / audio panel?

The other point is that if the GTN750 goes blank, you have lost an awful lot of functionality!

If you have only one GTN, there failure would be similair as to other radio’s, eg you lost the radio. With dual radios, the GMA35 will connect you to the second radio (instead of the first as what other audio panels do). This is because you can not control it anymore.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

OK – I made a new thread for this topic.

Administrator

@Jesse
Ahh, did I understand correctly that you would then use your non-compliant, non-8.33 NAV/COM (which you forgot to remove from the panel) to communicate with ATC?

When your GTN 750 goes dark, your second radio becomes active by default?

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Feb 17:53
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Ahh, did I understand correctly that you would then use your non-compliant, non-8.33 NAV/COM (which you forgot to remove from the panel) to communicate with ATC?

In that case yes.

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

When your GTN 750 goes dark, your second radio becomes active by default?

When it is able to detect the issue itself, then yes. If it is not able to detect that failure itself, you pull the CB, and it will be in reverse mode (if installer installed this correctly!) This should be part of the checkout procedure.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message