Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg owners - get the CD record for your plane from the FAA

I just got mine – it costs something like $10-20.

Nothing madly surprising in there but still interesting.

The DAR which put the plane on the N-reg had to recertify some UK CAA Level 2 company mods, with a 337 and what looks like a DAR-authorised Field Approval (actually the DAR job was supervised by an FAA inspector from Frankfurt; I met them both). Air Touring did some “funny” work…

There is a 337 from a UK FAA145 company for an obvious Minor Alteration (a doubler plate for an antenna) which is exactly what I referred to here

Another reason this CD is worth ordering is that if you sell, any buyer with more than 2 braincells will order his own copy, so it is worth knowing what’s there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“UK CAA Level 2 company mods”

What are these – I’ve never come across that description despite writing over 600 UK CAA-approved mods myself which were approved via an AD261.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

No idea. Air Touring were CAA L2 design approved. Maybe the L2 is not “level 2” (they called it “level 2” verbally) but AIUI this was basically the predecessor of EASA 21 design authority. You could internally approve mods, up to some level.

I can dig up some correspondence when I get home. AT went bust about 10 years ago.

Does that help?

The funny thing was they could not wire up a KI229 RMI. At first they gave me the plane with the RMI INOP. They had to get wiring diagrams from Socata! I found the correspondence when the administrator sent me a thick wad of papers they found.

Administrator

Ah – I think you’re referring to E2 which was the UK CAA BCAR design approval, not L2 or Level 2. I also held E2 before we transferred to EASA Part 21J.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

If you have an aircraft that’s decades old the CD can provide hours of entertainment

It’s not a big deal to order the CD normally, but If you happen to know an FAA DAR they have online access to the database and can download it in a few minutes. When I originally saw the advert for my plane I was out for the country, but through an A&P friend and his DAR friend I had the CD emailed to me. It’s not a huge file size and just the thing for bed time reading on holiday. I found things like an air show smoke system installed and later removed. Not long after my return we inspected the plane in person and I bought it. Fun times.

I sent off another 337 to the FAA a few months ago and for weeks the tracking link (it was sent Royal Mail airmail tracked) showed that it got stuck somewhere in the USA

Eventually I paid for another FAA record CD to see if they got it, and they did

One of the interesting things which is apparently filed with the FAA is a complete list of all planes registered with the trustee, and it comes to 371 planes

Administrator

Can anyone please let me have the contact details that I need to be in touch with to get a list of 337 mods for an exported aircraft?

many thanks

UK, United Kingdom

Perhaps here

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message