Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Continental IO-520 & 550 potential AD

Sooo…. is anyone going to bring up Continental’s MSB05-08B re camshaft gear replacement and the potential financial implications thereof if the FAA chooses to make it an AD?

I’ve been thinking about it but did not want to ruin any Cirrus drivers’ day – nor my own.

Given there has been no reply for the 3+ hrs this thread has been online… I guess that many people feel the same way, or are not concerned.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 05 Apr 17:59
LFPT, LFPN

I got that email from Busch too… it contains some interesting stuff e.g. when Conti issue an MSB they also apply to the FAA for an AD. Is that standard in the industry? I don’t think so. I thought SBs are issued while at least some airframes are still in warranty (because the dealer has to do an MSB within the warranty) and once everything is past warranty then the mfg issues MSBs which are in many scenarios (especially with non-involved owners) implemented regardless of their worth, and generate useful money

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is what struck my mind too. It must be a slow period for engine shops and they need some business.

LFPT, LFPN

I got the Mike Bush email too and I’m pleased that I have a Lycoming with 500 hours on the clock and hopefully a few more hours to go……………..until the camshaft at the top of the engine rusts away, or some other 1940’s tractor part wears out!

My thoughts were, if I was in the FAA/Government, I’d do a risk assessment and instead of making people tear down engines which are probably in the safest part of their life span……….. (i.e. they have avoided the most dangerous 0- 400 hour period when they are most likely to fail)…………..I’d do a deal and say you can delay the repair as long as you put in a Dynon D2 pocket panel/ or EDM800 engine monitor or some other stipulation.

What stipulation do the Forum think would add most to safety?

1. Fly at least once a week?
  2. EDM800?
  3. TCAS or Flarm?
  4. Go in the circuit and land 300 times per annum?
  5. Avoid clouds!??
  6. Look out of the Windows from time to time instead of playing with your brand new 8.33 Nav Comm?
  7. Pump out ADSB out and help everybody else avoid you?

Suggestions please. Any one of the above is probably better than a once in 10 year failure on 1 x Aircraft (out of ??? thousands) of 3 teeth on a cog wheel?

United Kingdom

I just thought of 2 x other ideas instead of the tear down (Numbers 8 and 9 on the post above)

1. Use Camguard
  2. Change your oil every 25 hours

Any other ideas from the gang?

United Kingdom

Flying say once a week is the best thing for both the plane and the pilot’s currency. An EDM helps to ensure the right operating point is configured. The other points (traffic detection) won’t help with the engine life

Changing the oil every 25hrs is supposed to be good for the engine overall but whether it makes any difference to the life of the accessory gearbox, I am not sure anybody knows.

We have many other threads on the more general topics e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

>> Any one of the above is probably better than a once in 10 year failure on 1 x Aircraft (out of ??? thousands) of 3 teeth on a cog wheel?<<

I find this remark a bit out of place. This cog wheel, as you put it, has caused a catastrophic engine failure in IMC in Beech in Dec 2015. Thankfully the pilot made it to the runway somehow. There will most likely be an AD to replace that gear which does have a history. Nice for you with a Lycoming, but those aren’t free from issues themselves, are they.

The “cog” is most likely the cause for a couple engine failures and kitchen recipes like ‘looking out’ or ‘flying more often’ won’t save you and haven’t saved those who died because the “cog wheel” broke.

No reason for mockery.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 05 Apr 21:12
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Aviathor wrote:

Given there has been no reply for the 3+ hrs this thread has been onlineā€¦ I guess that many people feel the same way, or are not concerned.

I’ve followed the start of the thread on COPA, but then didn’t have the time to read all (as of now) 197 posts on the topic… so didn’t feel a need to open a discussion here or reply within 3 hours. But what I took from the posts that I read there from people more closely following the FAA, an AD is very likely to come.

Maybe, just thinking, even though it should not be that way. But I think my tolerance for such a risk might be slightly higher in a Cirrus than in a Bonanza. Not going to say why. Though I would personally also want to have it fixed.

How will this affect used airplane prices for the models affected?

There seem to be significant forces getting together to prevent an AD being issued. AOPA, ABS and the Cessna Twin flyers.

EGTK Oxford
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message