Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does the TKS system increase drag?

It is about the number I am seeing as well

That's very close to conclusion I've made reading figures from other TB20 owners - it seems that I'm few knots slower with full TKS. However, it's not worth of mentioning - when I transfer it to my usual flights 2-3 hours, it's few minutes of difference. Usualy, I'm more influenced by the winds which somehow always blow as headwinds.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

What do you prefer: to stay on the ground due to bad weather but with potentially 3-5 knots more speed or to be able to fly more often and handle some ice but loose some speed in the process.

EDLE, Netherlands

What do you prefer: to stay on the ground due to bad weather but with potentially 3-5 knots more speed or to be able to fly more often and handle some ice but loose some speed in the process.

The answer is obvious increase dispatch rate.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Was thinking exactly the same thing, you would lose far more effective speed due to weather, ice etc.

EGTK Oxford

I wouldn't argue "3-5kt" is a price worth paying for not getting iced up, but I am suprised it is as much as that on the TB20.

However, there are TB20s which for an unknown reason fly 3-5kt slower anyway

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess if they are French built aircraft finished after lunch on a Friday.....

EGTK Oxford

No comments on Jason's Post. ;o) How much weight does the TKS system add to the aircaft? Couldn't it be an explanation of some the speed loss?

SE France

Sorry, Thierry, as an Australian, I think the same would apply to any UK built aircraft but of course nothing is manufactured in the UK any more!

EGTK Oxford

The 50kg extra weight of the TKS system cannot explain a 5kt speed loss. The TB20 speed hardly varies with weight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message