Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is it with aircraft maintenance firms in Europe?

Most often Meridian users/dealers say that the JetProp is not safe because you're constantly flying at/beyond Vne and that the Meridian has a beefed up airframe etc. That is pretty much the only argument in favor of the Meridian that I've heard. Therefore I am curious if there's more than that.

It can be a religious issue. A good balanced comparison is here

EGTK Oxford

If you need a pree buy you might give a call to Torsten Matz +49 5731 7673-13 from Porta Air Service. They know the PA46 planes and the PT6. Last time I checked they charged 650 Euro per day for such work.

If you need training there is Mr Kramberger from Slovenia who does an excellent good job and he charges a competitive price.

Concerning the comparison between the Jetprop and the Meridian I think an important point is what kind of aircraft you are looking for. If you want a like new aircraft the Meridian will be the way to go. Only few people will take a brand new Mirage and get it converted. At AERO this year I saw two Jetprop. The performance is great but both did not have the exterior and at least one the interior to reflect this.

Concerning the 2t issue I'm told that the airway fees in Germany are well below 100 Euro per hour. But the bigger issue is that at least here we have some airports which are legally limited to 2t or for example the Austrian pax tax was at some point only exempt for planes below 2t.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks I have sorted the pre-buy now. Going to use Aerotech at Coventry - professional and helpful unlike the other firm.

Your points are well made - I considered converting my Mirage but it was just not worth it - you can buy an equivalent Meridian for many hundred of thousand us$ less than the all in cost of conversion. The Jetprop economics work with older airframes from what I can see.

EGTK Oxford

Actually one other complaint. Had a RADAR problem - it was throwing up a TX error. All anyone in Europe would do is say replace the unit.

Just sent to Texas, being repaired right now (same day it arrived!!) and will be back by Monday in less than a week. Not cheap to repair but 12% of replacement cost.

EGTK Oxford

That's an interesting article, albeit 10 years old now.

Interesting that the Meridian cost (then) ~20% more on the DOC. That is what others looking into it have found, too. And that doesn't include the European route charges.

Only few people will take a brand new Mirage and get it converted

I wonder why not, yet they would pay a similar amount for a new Meridian?

If I was spending that sort of money, and had the right mission profile, etc, I would rather buy something which nobody might have tried to bend inside some CB...

The Jetprop I saw at EDNY wasn't in the best condition, I thought.

Concerning the 2t issue I'm told that the airway fees in Germany are well below 100 Euro per hour.

That surely is very significant.

But the bigger issue is that at least here we have some airports which are legally limited to 2t

Not only that. There are landing and parking fees, which at some places jack up pretty dramatically with weight.

However as with all of aviation one could make this argument at any level. I am sure there is another parallel universe where people are debating the case for a Lear 45 over a Citation and doing it with the same vigour, only with an extra zero on the end of all the figures

It's a topic which interests me because I think a Jetprop (in which I have flown) is the first logical step-up from the TB20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the only real comparison is an Avidyne Jetprop vs Avidyne Meridian as the Jetprop STC doesn't cover G1000. You can get an Avidyne Meridian now for about $1mn flat in the US with 800-1000 hours on a 3600hour TBO. A good 2006 Mirage converted by Jetprop will be $1.3-1.4. That covers a lot of enroute and landing charges.

And like it or not, a Jetprop is still an STC albeit a very good one.

In my opinion, the Jetprop makes sense if you buy a 2000 or so airframe for $400,000, spend 550k converting it and are into a zero time turbine for under $1mn. It is a great package and I did seriously consider it.

EGTK Oxford

I'd take the TBM... i was completely spoiled after they let me fly it for 3 hours at the factory, and that was a 700C2 only (it was in 2005).

I couldn't afford the TBM annuals.

EGTK Oxford

What figures do you have?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message