Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The joke of component certification and EASA 145 (ancient stock sold as serviceable)

Funnily enough AS5194-0604 googles to… almost exactly nothing

Back to my earlier point: is the acceptance of these ancient parts really normal? Looking further back up the thread you have 20 year old circuit breakers supplied as “serviceable” and by implication brand new. In “normal life” as I know it, anything not specifically described as “used” must be brand new. I’ve been peripherally involved in aircraft maintenance since 2002 and more so since I went N-reg in 2005, but have not yet seen anything which runs counter to this principle. Could you sell somebody a brand new ~$5M PC12 which is full of 20 year old parts? I know Socata built my new TB20 with a load of used avionics (probably returned to them with intermittent faults, which were bench tested and tagged “serviceable”, and most of which failed within the 2 year warranty, thankfully) but I used to put that one down to the particular “culture” operating down there, not to a general aviation principle.

It seems obvious to me that the widespread existence of these old bits must be common knowledge to people working in the business, which leads to the question of where do they draw the line on acceptance of incoming goods. Would e.g. Pilatus not use obviously old parts in a new PC12, but use them when doing maintenance?

The problem of course is that all “serviceable” parts are, ahem, serviceable, even if they aren’t This isn’t cynical – it is at the core of any QA system. If a customer can return a “serviceable”-tagged part as unserviceable and you accept it back then your QA system has failed.

The particular company involved here is very reputable and are happy to just take stuff back for credit, and they must be doing quite a lot of it, because I am sure I am not the only fussy bastard around.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The problem of course is that all “serviceable” parts are, ahem, serviceable, even if they aren’t

To be nit-picky – the paperwork you scanned certifies (a) conformance when manufactured in the dim and distant past and (b) serviceability when inspected in 2003.

They clearly aren’t new, there is a different box for that. And a form that has the “new” box ticked and is dated some-day-in-the-20th-century doesn’t make that claim, either…

If you return unserviceable or too old stuff, you are entitled to that according to normal law on the sale of goods, regardless of any aviation paperwork.

Biggin Hill

And on the value of the paperwork – this paperwork is the equivalent of a “release to service” of an aircraft after maintenance.

You wouldn’t take one of those for face value if it were 15 years old and the aircraft sat in the hangar for that time, nor would you blame the maintenance engineer for signing it in the first place.

Biggin Hill

the paperwork you scanned certifies (a) conformance when manufactured in the dim and distant past and (b) serviceability when inspected in 2003.

That I understand but they were not sold by B-N in 2003. They were sold this week by a company who I am not naming, and with no indication of them being 15 years (IMHO more like 50 years) old.

If this was a one-off, that would be different, but I have had so much of this kind of thing recently. Half the aviation parts business seems to be flogging old stock, and most of it comes with a brand new EASA-1 form.

Administrator
You could find that type of nipples at Ebay as well, no form 1 of course . But who cares, no numbers on them. I cannot believe that there were inspectors who might object to use industrial supply , even not aviation based. Vic

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Motamec-AN-8-AN8-JIC-To-3-8-BSPT-Thread-3-8×19-Alloy-Fitting-Adapter/231666637939
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Motamec-AN-6-AN6-JIC-to-1-4-NPT-Straight-Aluminium-Alloy-Fitting-Adapter/231948703792
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APS-Anodised-Blue-JIC-NPTF-Male-Male-Adaptor-Connector-Fitting-/400418426486

vic
EDME

Those blue ones are aluminium; they are easy to get e.g. LAS.

But I would never use aluminium fittings in the fuel system. It would defeat the point of using fireproof hoses, and the fittings are not strong (they snap easily if overtightened). The transducer itself is made of diecast aluminium but is covered with a fire sleeve and is anyway a lot more bulky. In this case the fittings are inside the sleeve too but still I would not trust them.

I have used them extensively elsewhere but not in the fuel system.

Administrator

Sorting through the mass of certificates relating to the TKS parts, I have found one which beats my previous (1968) record:

Can anyone beat 1960?

These parts (not supplied with the TKS system; sourced separately) came from the same company as those earlier in this thread.

And in this case here’s the current CofC, stating “new and unused”

“Unused” I agree with, but where is the line drawn on “new”? Battle of Britain?

Administrator
These spare parts are called NOS elsewhere : “New old stock” and everybody knows what to expect depending on type of product. I would not pay anything for NOS ball or roller bearings even in genuine factory packing as conservation oils may have failed after decades. Hmm, don´t see the point with your phobia about alu fittings in the fuel system when these are made just for that application. What are the permanent fuel lines in aircraft made off ? I can tell all tubes in Yaks are alu plus lots of alu fittings. These are certainly high tensile alu types and you would apply suitable lubricants on threads for sure . Your fire restistant hoses are long gone anyway at 300 degrees when the alu fittings will stay a lot longer. I would not be worried about these alu adapters when at the same time the diecast alu thread of the transducer is definitely the much weaker part. But then I cannot tell much about this , no imperial types for me any day if I can help it. Vic

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hydraulic-Steel-NPT-x-JIC-Male-Adaptor-Fitting-Union-Connector-NPTF-Air-Fuel-/251500839230

Last Edited by vic at 17 Mar 21:18
vic
EDME

The supplier found some stainless steel ones which they didn’t know they had

Administrator
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message