Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stormscope WX-1000 error 46

I wrote in separate thread that I got error 46 after stormscope selftest. It has been diagnosed as faulty antenna although manual says it can be faulty processor unit as well. My mechanic found antenna seal damaged and some water inside so he's pretty sure about the cause of error.

The part nunmber is 78-8051-9200-8 and Socata's dealer asks for $2600 plus shipping which I believe is too much. Can somebody recommend where I can ask for quotation?

A few used ones can be found at eBay but I'm not sure if that's the right choice for aircraft parts.

Emir

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The usual source shows $2175, plus shipping, import VAT (if you have that) etc.

US Ebay is variable.

A lot of reputable shops have an Ebay outlet, and if you get an 8130-3 with it, plus the man there sounds like he can read and write and gives you decent answers, it should be fine.

Without any documentation, Ebay stuff is IMHO, IME, worth getting if it is so cheap that you don't really care (e.g. $200). Obviously you can't install it on an EASA-reg unless it comes with documentation of some sort. On an N-reg, an A&P has the authority to inspect it and release it to service. A lot of people in the UK buy e.g. replacement ADF parts on US Ebay and if they work, hey, great, no logbook entry is made and everybody is happy.

This one at $600 should be OK if you get a piece of paper signed by an A&P saying it worked when removed. Check with your engineer he will accept it, before you buy it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Check with your engineer he will accept it, before you buy it.

Well, my guy will accept everything I bring the question is on my side - if I'm willing to accept it without sufficient papers, warranty, etc. My antenna was in perfect condition until one day seal was too old to seal and let water inside. With used one, regardless the paperwork, I can be in the same situation next day after installing; the new one probably comes with 1 year warranty.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The usual source shows $2175, plus shipping, import VAT (if you have that) etc.

I saw this - it was one of the first on Google search - I was just wandering if anybody knows cheaper source or Ebay outlet address of some shop which is willing to sell new one.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have never seen cheaper new avionics than one of the discount dealers, of which SE Aero is the best known one.

Others are Gulf Aerospace, Sarasota Avionics... I have used these too. They can do ~30% off list.

SE Aero have very good communications, which is a massive plus in this business, and a generally great service. But they absolutely stick to the warranty... a day over and you get a finger-up, regardless of any problem history during the warranty. The other firms are handy for stuff which SEA don't have, but getting replies to emails (of more than one line) needs one of these

You can try them because they also do installations (in fact they aren't supposed to sell most certified kit uninstalled ) and if they have a used antenna kicking around, it will be better than one from Ebay which is prob50 being sold by somebody other than the person who removed it.

Administrator

I sent them RFQ. I also sent few ones to ads listed at controller.com

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Can't you try to find somebody to repair the antenna?

I can but he's not sure in the result due to the amount of water that was in the antenna.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The hardest things to fix are corrosion, and microscopic breaks in PCBs and connectors caused by vibration.

For an antenna assembly to actually stop working, something inside has possibly been eaten right through.

Anything is repairable but what one can never be sure of is how close to the edge some other part of it is.

There is an avionics shop where I am based which spends a fair bit of its time repairing what looks like WW2 radios - stuff which would normally be worthless except that the owners won't spend the money to get something that will work properly and they rather spend a hundred quid on it every time ATC has a moan at them for being barely audible.

Administrator
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message