Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A combined terrain + airspace warning solution, yoke mountable? (and Aera 660)

A surprise announcement from Garmin – I thought they had given up on the handheld market.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 02 Mar 09:18
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

That’s both interesting and disappointing, because I’m just having a docking station put into my Super Cub panel, and it’s for the Aera 500/550!
I haven’t bought the GPS yet, so I now have to think about either ordering an old model GPS, (Aera 500) or scrapping the dock and waiting till a dock is available for the new model (Aera 660)

Annoyingly the GPS units are a few millimetres different in size, although the Airgizmo dock, when it comes, will undoubtedly fit in the same panel hole.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I think there’s a dock/clip/mount available already with bare wires for connecting to other avionics. I like the look of this, might replace my 695 with it.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Does it have the terrain warnings coming out as an audio signal on a connector (like the 496 has)?

The 496 has a balanced speaker output (probably about 1 watt) and it isn’t floating (i.e. it isn’t done via a transformer) so you just pick off one of the two signals and ignore the other – as per my writeup.

And if Yes, does anyone know if the TAWS function is any different to the 496?

Does it take an external antenna? The specs at Garmin don’t show any antenna connectors.

Does the SV feature work in Europe?

How much is the airport taxi chart database for Europe?

Does any of the above stop working if the database gets beyond a certain age?

I use the 496 purely as a TAWS device, and it would provide a usable “DCT box” for getting somewhere. Its map is almost completely useless, with the airspace depictions being completely cluttered (the declutter does not do anything useful).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The listed accessories include an external antenna. Synthetic Vision works on the 795 so I would imagine it works on the 660 especially as they specifically refer to the GDL39. Database updates are typically €50 per dataset or a yearly sub.

chrisparker wrote:

I think there’s a dock/clip/mount available already with bare wires for connecting to other avionics. I like the look of this, might replace my 695 with it.

Could you point me in the right direction? I can’t see a panel mounting dock, I want one which recesses the device into the panel

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

There is this but it is a surface mount rather than a recessed mount

Doesn’t sound like there is any audio output… mind you, they never advertised that feature on the G496 either.

Administrator

There is definately audio, perhaps via BT – " Meanwhile, the power button on the top accesses quick settings, including portrait or landscape orientation, volume "

How would one feed audio to the aircraft intercom (“audio panel”) if it comes out via BT?

I know there are BT receivers for one’s hifi system so that e.g. one can play music from one’s phone, but these things have to emulate the correct profile.

BT is also not reliable. It works when it wants to and then mysteriously stops.

Administrator
175 Posts
Sign in to add your message