Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A combined terrain + airspace warning solution, yoke mountable? (and Aera 660)

Damn Garmin. Just when a poor farmer has committed to squandering some of his his next Euro-handout on a new sofa, they come out with a brand new investment-grade gizmo…

P.S. not sure about this one, but didn’t the Aera 550 bare wires connector include an audio wire?

Last Edited by Jacko at 02 Mar 21:41
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

It would be great to confirm it the TAS warnings come out on this.

The 296 (and others) also have audio out but what comes out on it is everything except the TAS warnings (presumably a product differentiation decision by “Marketing”)

I could write to Garmin but their reply is likely to be inaccurate – as it was with the G496 in various aspects. The impression I got is that they wanted to keep that feature undocumented.

Unfortunately there is no way to test this except by flying with one. The sound out level control in the config menu will work anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pre- MGL glass, wifi, Nexus and SD this would be a nice device. But today?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Jacko wrote:

Damn Garmin. Just when a poor farmer has committed to squandering some of his his next Euro-handout on a new sofa, they come out with a brand new investment-grade gizmo…

It could be superseded if you’re waiting for the BPS to land in the bank. My small time 2015 claim remains unpaid…

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Pre- MGL glass, wifi, Nexus and SD this would be a nice device. But today?

Obviously many will disagree and the fall in pilot shop sales figures confirms this, but I don’t think consumer tablets can be relied on when you need the damn thing to work.

The consumer tablets are too unreliable. They crash, or just do weird unexpected things. The constant OS updates are a hazard which a mission critical device should never be exposed to. The GPS receivers are often marginal and anyway are optimised for locating the nearest Mcdonalds while moving relatively slowly. The GPS in say a G496 is way ahead of any consumer device I have ever used.

The problem is that handheld aviation GPS sales have possibly fallen to such a low level that making them isn’t going to be viable unless the manufacturer can leverage (I have nearly finished my MBA in Corporate Bullsh*t) some technology which they are selling into some other market.

Administrator

Ordered mine!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

What would one need to do to make the synthetic vision also show attitude?

I presume, perhaps wrongly that it might indicate bank angle using rate of turn data.

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

What would one need to do to make the synthetic vision also show attitude?

I presume, perhaps wrongly that it might indicate bank angle using rate of turn data.

Source: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=135203

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

US AOPA article here.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message