Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A combined terrain + airspace warning solution, yoke mountable? (and Aera 660)

Dimme wrote:

SkyDemon on an iPad mini with XGPS160 It gives you audible warnings.

Using voice.

I think the airspace warnings are just a beep, not voice?

ELLX

Peter wrote:

do the airspace warnings come out of the 3.5mm socket?

Yes

Peter wrote:

Can SD run usefully on a phone?

Yes, no problem.

I am not sure if we did this before but do the airspace warnings come out of the 3.5mm socket? Can SD run usefully on a phone? An Ipad Mini is too big to yoke mount in the TB20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ESME, ESMS

ESME, ESMS

SkyDemon on an iPad mini with XGPS160

• It gives you audible warnings.
  • Using voice.
  • You even get “Entering Runway Blablah”-warnings if you want.
  • The iPad mini has a 3.5mm socket.
ESME, ESMS

On any product, tablet based on a dedicated aviation GPS, I am not sure that it comes out of the headphone socket, and not sure if you get voice annunciations (rather than just a beep, plus something appearing on the screen).

Administrator

You mean other than a tablet navigator? (on the VFR ones I only know SD muself, but I imagine the others do it too)

To dig up this old thread… is there any airspace warning solution which bring out airspace warnings on a 3.5mm jack socket?

The Aera 660 bring out TAWS/GPWS (terrain warnings) on the socket but airspace warnings are just beeps (no voice) which come out on its internal speaker. I have the 3.5mm socket wired to the intercom and that works great.

I can see ways of doing it but it would be a big hack involving opening the unit and connecting the speaker signal to the 3.5mm socket, via a mixer circuit. It would still be just a beep though. One would then have to detect the tone and convert it to some voice annunciation.

Administrator

I found an email for them and they have refunded the mysterious VFR Enhancement

Administrator
175 Posts
Sign in to add your message