Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airflow under a cowling

It’s registered as “CNRA” or “amateur-built”.

Here is what looks like a good intake/plenum on a Sonerai racer.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is that a thermomix ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

All factory-built Jodels are now “orphan” aircraft, on Annex 2, until it becomes/became Annex 1.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

How would one legalise a modified cowling? Would that be a major mod or a minor mod?

After having read through the stuff dealing with the basic / non-basic STC’s, I’m afraid changing the cowling is non-basic.
Because it changes the aerodynamical behaviour. Which affects performance, which excludes it from basic issues.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 05 Jul 13:10
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I think the reason for working on cowling and internal baffling is to get better or more uniform cooling. This is mainly a safety concern rather than a performance concern.
There are several FAA STCs available that are grandfathered in EASA land for improved internal baffling on the Bonanza series. Aerodynamics are more related to the wings, fuselage, tail, maybe air inlets, much less about the internal engine baffling since they won’t change the flying characteristics. Any AP wish to comment?

EBKT

I understood “modified cowling” in Robins post as modifying the external form. If you change the intakes, i.e. make them smaller, you change the drag component of the nose and thus you do change the aerodynamics. None of the STCs changes the outside form or the size of the intakes. All changes are inside, AFAIK

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 05 Jul 13:14
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

If you change the intakes, i.e. make them smaller, you change the drag component of the nose and thus you do change the aerodynamics.

In a negligible way I would say. There are always multiple ways a modification can be seen and I try to only work with people who have my interests in mind when judging such things…

achimha wrote:

only work with people who have my interests in mind

That’s always a good basis for working with people :))

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message