Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What endoscope / borescope / USB camera do you use?

On the basis that I want something thin, 4mm or less, can anyone offer opinions on these two

wifi

self contained

I think the upper one is questionable because they say

and I know too damn well that Android devices do not connect to adhoc wifi hotspots (like e.g. Joikuspot). Way back, I spent way too much time trying to find a fix for this. It is possible but only with custom firmware. Basically the wifi supplicant module on official android specifically blocks adhoc wifi. It enumerates the hotspots and there is a jump past the adhoc ones. I have tried (on the useless android forums like this one) to find a patch, which should be easy, but it doesn’t seem to exist outside the fully custom firmware community and having rooted the phone I am not interested in wasting more time on this. But maybe someone knows something? I am sure there is no solution unless the phone is rooted, at least, which would limit their market too much.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi,
I am sure either of those two cameras would be fine for looking at the camshaft or cylinder walls, but how can you look back at the valves with one of them? The best use for them I can see is going in behind a mag when its off to examine the cam…..

In the turbine world the boroscope guide tube is way more important than the camera. Getting the endoscope camera positioned for each model engine to see things like the CT Vane Ring is crucial but can only be done with a guide. Thats why I am not convinced of the merit of this type of camera for piston engines, except for the use noted above.

My €0.02

William

Last Edited by WilliamF at 14 Jan 21:51
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

+ 1

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I didn’t think there was any way to see a Lyco camshaft without at least removing a cylinder. That’s interesting.

Regarding checking valves, the 90 degree mirror is supposed to work for that. But it seems to have a problem, at least on these cheap scopes: when the built-in illumination is used, there is a massive loss of contrast. It may be that the mirror needs to be really spotless, but I did try cleaning mine very carefully, and it still showed almost nothing useful when the mirror was used.

Michael – by “+1” do you mean you agree with all of a preceeding post? I believe this is some sort of facebook code, but I am not sure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry, that was a bit short.

The tiny mirrors don’t work, so if it doesn’t have an articulating head, forget about using it in cylinders where the most important bit is getting a good look at the valves & valve seats.

Get the ViVidia AbleScope VA-400, it’s the best bang for the buck.

Last Edited by Michael at 15 Jan 08:03
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I have 2 Vividia scopes and I agree the Vividia AbleScope VA-400 is very good value.
They also have other types with BT connectivity and a much smaller probe.
Depending on application beats much more expensive rigid borescope types fitted with a mirror.

Regarding the ViVidia AbleScope VA-400 USB Rigid Borescope, it says it has a 8.5mm Diameter Probe. That seems like one mm to large to fit through the spark plug hole, no?

United States

Can anybody recommend a Borescope they have used on a Lycoming engine that can go through a plug hole and view the valves?

Mike Busch recommended something which was very cheap in the U.S. but has anybody bought one in Europe which is any good? A UK source would be ideal and I don’t mind a USB version i.e. using my laptop for a screen. £ 100 to £ 200 is my price range but please only post if you have used one on a Lycoming

It’s something I’d like to start doing on my 50 hour check as I fly over water quite a bit.

United Kingdom

I have an expensive Snap-On one but I hear very good things about small devices that you can buy on Amazon for a tenner that plug into your iPhone.

Forever learning
EGTB

I have this one.

Works very well and often available even cheaper than the one shown.

Last Edited by Mark_1 at 06 Jul 04:43
KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
Sign in to add your message