Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What endoscope / borescope / USB camera do you use?

Which is the one Mike Busch recommends?

I am on about my 3rd one now. It was about 200 quid so not the dirt cheapest. All were Chinese although the 2nd one was “Made in Germany” and was bought from there, and all basically crap. One certainly could not use any of them to actually look at anything in a dark place because the built-in illumination washed out the image.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Which is the one Mike Busch recommends?

In the May edition of “Cirrus Pilot”, Mike Busch has an article about borescopes and how in his view they have made compression tests obsolete. In that article, he names the “ViVidia Ablescope VA-400” from Oasis Scientific as his “current favorite” (the same that @Mark_1 linked to).

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 06 Jul 07:16

Many thanks.

That one is on amazon.com and no shipping available to the UK. You have to buy it on Ebay. That outfit seems to prepay the import duty and VAT:

Administrator

I’ve just ordered that one on Ebay from the United States.

When it arrives, I’ll let you all know how I get on!

United Kingdom

Search for “inspection camera” on aliexpress.com, and you’ll find lots of USB borescopes that you can plug into a laptop or a tablet. Price: about €10. Some are just cameras on a flex cable, some come with a few attachments. As always with the products from the Celestial Empire, look at the data carefully and cross-check the parameters against each other. I have a 5.5 mm one with a video resolution of 640×480.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Here is the latest Webinar from Savvy.

A bit slow as usual but very useful information. My Vividia from eBay has now cleared Customs and is on the final leg of it’s journey.

I’ll post some photos when it arrives!

United Kingdom

You can also get it from Aircraft Spruce.

LSZK, Switzerland

The Borescope arrived a few days ago. I’ll upload some more photos next week but here is one of my cylinders. Nice and shiny, oil from flying 2 days before.

The engine is 600 hours old and I was glad to see the cross hatch machining still visible.

United Kingdom

My Ebay purchased one has not arrived yet. I have received five fake “delivery attempted” messages though – the usual thing from cheap delivery firms whese driver skips an address because he can’t be bothered

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I have received five fake “delivery attempted” messages though – the usual thing from cheap delivery firms whese driver skips an address because he can’t be bothered

lol ! … and I thought that was just in my ’hood !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Sign in to add your message