Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin introduces retrofit autopilots (GFC500 and GFC600)

“but unfortunately it is an awfully long flight” without AP, at least on the way in.

I can probably get around taxes, let’s see. Since the arrow as already electric trim, pitch trim installation is likely to be less.

I also hope with the increase of safety parameters that insurance will go down.

I truly believe that garmin system with level button and envelope protection is a great step on safety, either you get behind the aircraft or get suddenly incapacitated. Doesn’t do miracles, but can help you on a complicated situation where you can regain control on a simple push of a button.

I do fly long legs, despite I love hand flying, sometimes feels good to relax a bit and let something else do the job for you. Doesn’t serve coffees yet but……..

LPSR, Portugal
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Garmin GFC500 seems indeed an interesting alternative for someone wanting to replace a legacy autopilot. This said, the problem we would have is that the 500 which is the attractively priced one is paired with a G5. As we have already a G500 in the cockpit we would be obliged to buy the MUCH more expensive GFC600. Go figure why that is so.

Last Edited by gildnn at 02 Jul 21:21
EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

That’s Garmin way of telling you they know that if you have a G500, you can probably afford a GFC600 and they’d like that extra bit of $$$, please.

EGTF, LFTF

@gildnn wrote:

The Garmin GFC500 seems indeed an interesting alternative for someone wanting to replace a legacy autopilot. This said, the problem we would have is that the 500 which is the attractively priced one is paired with a G5. As we have already a G500 in the cockpit we would be obliged to buy the MUCH more expensive GFC600. Go figure why that is so.

According to Garmin’s web page, the GFC 500 will work with the G500 as long as you also have a G5. Presumably the G5 will act as an interface between the G500 and the GFC 500.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 Nov 21:16
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

as proudly shown to me by Garmin’s director of aircraft certification.

Interesting how they just reference the FAA AML. That is a step forward.

Administrator

I went to the Garmin presentation about the GFC500 in Friedrichshafen. Quite interesting. You have to use a G5 AI with the GFC500 because the A/P computer is actually in the G5!

A minimal GFC500 system would comprise one G5, one roll servo, one pitch servo (no pitch trim servo necessary!) and the mode control panel.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hmmm… we have the “no pitch trim servo” discussion here. I am amazed somebody would do that, in the 21st century. In 1975, sure.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message