Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KFC230 / Aerocruze

Is it possible to install this on a plane which has a KFC150 on its TC (the TB series probably had; Socata shoved every King box ever made in a TB at some point), by buying up some servos (used, since new ones are not officially available anymore), getting some servo brackets from a parted-out plane, and installing this mystical AHRS?

That the KI256 can’t be used (except for its FD function) is interesting. Can the G5 be used for the FD?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

G5 can’t replace anything with a flight director as far as I know.

Last Edited by zuutroy at 12 May 12:20
EIMH, Ireland

I hope they make the Aspen E5 and KFC230 hyper-compatible. In that case it should be a slide-in replacement for my aircraft. Although I’d have a very good look at my servos while I’m busy. Not all KI256 have a flight director. If you have one then yes, there is a problem with a G5-replacement.

EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

s it possible to install this on a plane which has a KFC150 on its TC (the TB series probably had; Socata shoved every King box ever made in a TB at some point), by buying up some servos (used, since new ones are not officially available anymore), getting some servo brackets from a parted-out plane, and installing this mystical AHRS?

Most KFC150 autopilots, even when installed by aircraft manufacturers, were fitted to a Bendix-King STC. So just because it’s a listed option in the TC, this doesn’t give you the approved data to work to and which you’d need to certify the installation against (337 Major Alteration in your case). When using an STC you also need the permission of the STC holder by an LOA (Letter of Authorisation). Sometimes this is a blanket approval such as that which Garmin provide to dealers, but others often issue a serial-number specific letter (S-Tec for example).
The KFC230 STC says the pre-requisite status of the aircraft is that it has an existing KFC150 system fitted, so adding just recovered servos from another aircraft without the full KFC150 system is in breach of the STC. The KFC230 STC explicitly excludes installing servos.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 12 May 13:04
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

So just because it’s a listed option in the TC, this doesn’t give you the approved data to work to and which you’d need to certify the installation against (337 Major Alteration in your case)

I think, out in the field, it depends on who you can find. The other view is here. Some view the aircraft MM/IPC, with the wiring diagram, as approved data.

For sure it is a Major Alteration so yes a 337 on an N-reg.

However I wonder why one would rip out a working KFC150 when with a roll steering converter you get near perfect lateral tracking, and if correctly wired up you get LPV also. IOW, “it works”.

HBK should have done a plug compatible KC225 box. There are probably 1k owners who would pay serious money to get rid of that “smokin’ servo” product. But nothing really makes sense, to spend prob100 millions of $ developing a box with such a narrow market.

Administrator

I happen to have exactly what’s specified, an F33A within the proper serial number range, with the originally equipped KFC150 autopilot (which is still working very well).
Advice given to me was:
- leave the KFC150 in (if it works, which it does), throw out the KI256, and replace it with a GI275 as an AHRS source
- if needed, to get a second GI275 or a G5 as replacement for the HSI.
- or install a G500 Txi which delivers all the digital information to the KFC while getting rid of the steam gauges,
- and if the KFC150 really needed replacement it was suggested to take the GFC500 with new servos because who needs the old BK servo crap ? The BK servos cost 7k USD to replace and the new Garmin motors are brushless, less expensive and less error prone.

Message well received, in no unclear terms.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 12 May 14:16
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

They will most certainly tell you what they think you can do

If your KFC150 is fully working, what would the KFC230 give you, given the old servos will still be there, and that is what wears out?

Administrator

KI256 goes out the window. That’s a big one. IAS climb (although not unlocked yet) is nice and I bet there is a “blue button” in the pipeline as well.

And furthermore; vertical speed & altitude select should be possible as well when hooked up to an Aspen or the likes…

Last Edited by airways at 12 May 14:08
EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

what would the KFC230 give you, given the old servos will still be there, and that is what wears out?

that’s exactly the point, the argument is a fake one, it doesn’t make sense to keep the old servos if you replace the KFC with a digital one.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Digital autopilot

Just because the control loop is digital doesn’t mean it will be more reliable. For example the KC225 is digital but there is a nasty bug in there which is one of the holes in the cheese of the self combusting servo issue.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message