Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

KFC230 / Aerocruze

EuroFlyer wrote:

I happen to have exactly what’s specified, an F33A within the proper serial number range, with the originally equipped KFC150 autopilot (which is still working very well).
Advice given to me was:
- leave the KFC150 in (if it works, which it does), throw out the KI256, and replace it with a GI275 as an AHRS source
- if needed, to get a second GI275 or a G5 as replacement for the HSI.
- or install a G500 Txi which delivers all the digital information to the KFC while getting rid of the steam gauges,
- and if the KFC150 really needed replacement it was suggested to take the GFC500 with new servos because who needs the old BK servo crap ? The BK servos cost 7k USD to replace and the new Garmin motors are brushless, less expensive and less error prone.

Message well received, in no unclear terms

I currently have a KI256 AI, G5 HSI, 430, and KFC150 and I go back and forward in my mind all the time on the optimal thing to do if something breaks and how replacing the broken thing might tie in with future upgrades, if I can afford them.

- If KI256 breaks: Aspen and move the G5 to be a backup, or GI275 (will G5 ever be modified to replace KI256)?

-If KFC150 breaks: GFC500 and 2nd G5 or KFC230 (That was before I realised it needed an air data source)?

-If 430 dies or I want LPV at some point: WAAS upgrade (rumoured to be no longer available soon), IFD440 Slide in, or 650?

EIMH, Ireland

The KFC230 appears to use GPS data when flying an ILS (or a VOR/LOC). More here and here. It appears that it will disconnect tracking if GPS data is lost, though the info is not totally clear.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is anyone even seriously looking at the King stuff, given the recent KI300 snafu and previous actions by the company regarding, for example, maintenance facilities? Dynon, get the damn AP certified for the Mooney already!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Will a Dynon fly an ILS?

Yes I agree installing something from HBK is an act of extreme faith.

Administrator

It will fly any fully coupled precision approach provided it is connected to an IFR gps (or an ILS approach with an ILS receiver).

T28
Switzerland

That doesn’t answer the question of what it is doing. It is obvious that it doesn’t contain a GPS, and that an ILS receiver is needed to fly an ILS because that is where the H and V deviations come from.

Administrator

Maybe you want to rephrase your question then. You asked “will it fly an ILS”. The answer is yes with the preconditions mentioned.

What does “what is it doing” try to answer?

T28
Switzerland

The basic Q is: will it fly an ILS if there is no GPS reception?

The GFC500 won’t, for sure.

The less basic Q would be: how does it use the GPS data?

Administrator

Two known TB20 installations in the US.

The existing servos are re-used and King gives a 2 year warranty on them with the installation.

Also the airspeed hold mode does not work. That function is already in the software and will be unlocked if/when the FAA certifies it.

More discussion at the two links above.

Administrator

I got this input from an “industry source”:

I wonder what (digital) attitude and air data source they have got. The KFC230 was not a plug-in replacement at all. It can be either the BK KG71 ADAHRS (a part of the AeroVue touch) or a Garmin G500/600 (or maybe an Aspen?). It’d be interesting to know the complete install time and cost. The AP unit itself is being marketed for ~10k USD.

FWIW, the KC225 (the computer box) was also sold for ~ $10k.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message