Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the FAA 91.411 and 91.413 altimeter check required outside the USA, and mandatory stickers?

Peter wrote:

TXP and the autopilot.

Why the autopilot ?

Generally, it’s the xponder and the alticoder under 91.413

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The AP has a static connection, feeding an internal barometer which is used to implement altitude-hold. The capture (preset) values comes from the KEA130A encoding altimeter; one of the two altimeter mentioned. It’s a good Q whether one should be charged for the autopilot since it has no means of displaying anything relating to the absolute baro pressure

I need to be careful to not tell them about the differential pressure switch which auto-switches the TXP from GND to AIR. That would be another £60

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/fars-91411-and-91413.html

Bombshell / dynamite, if accurate.

Administrator

Why dynamite?

Would be if not required

Administrator

Well yes, but instead of the FAA test you would need to do your regional CAA test, no?

Peter,

The regulations directly dispute that.

Sec. 91.401

Applicability.

(a) This subpart prescribes rules governing the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations of U.S.-registered civil aircraft operating within or outside of the United States.

KUZA, United States

FAR 91.413 applies also to VFR aircraft inside or outside of the US.

Thanks all. Having got it done today I am happier It would indeed have been astonishing if this test was not required in Europe.

The company said that the FAA requires paper stickers to be applied to each instrument tested. The stickers were quite large and access to a suitable location on each instrument was difficult. I haven’t been able to find a requirement for any stickers, although the reporting format includes the S/N of each instrument so you do have to somehow find out what they are, by inspection of the aircraft or of aircraft records.

According to this the format is

There is a reference in that doc to a “label” but only in the airdata computer context.

Administrator

Having seen hundreds of N-reg aircraft panels, and none having any “stickers” applied (where??), I would say it’s BS.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message