Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the FAA 91.411 and 91.413 altimeter check required outside the USA, and mandatory stickers?

Not necessary to install sticker on the instruments,never done that ….
The sign off of CFR91.411 and 91.413 can be done in accordance with FAA AC 43-6D paragraph 12.
Recordkeeping has to be done i.a.w FAA AC43-9
Test can only be done by a FAA recognize EASA PART145 company, with radio license

However it might be necessary to find the model and serialnumber of the instruments ( see below)

Below it the way to go i.a.w the law:

MAINTENANCE RECORD ENTRY. The following example of a permanent
maintenance record entry will be satisfactory for compliance with § 43.9:
EXAMPLE:
I certify that the altimeter and static system tests required by 14 CFR part 91, § 91.411
and transponder tests, including data correspondence, required by § 91.413, have been
performed and found to comply with 14 CFR part 43, appendices E and F.
Altimeter Model ___________________ Serial No. ________________
Transponder Model ________________ Serial No. ________________
Encoder Model ____________________ Serial No. ________________

The altimeter was tested to______feet on (date of altimeter test).
The transponder was tested on (date of transponder test).
Encoder data correspondence was tested to______feet on (date of correspondence test).
Static system leak tested on (date of static test).
Signature _______________________
Certificate Number________________

IAS Hangar One
EHTE, Netherlands

Yes this is the normal format of the report.

The funny thing is that for all the years the guy doing it would accept the S/Ns from the previous report. In the last case they insisted on accessing the instruments (because the S/N labels were not visible otherwise) and applying stickers to them. In one case applying the sticker was so difficult, the guy wrapped it around the hose leading up to it, which is just silly.

I would think sufficient due diligence would be accepting the report of a previous 145 company which did it. After all, this is what you do in normal maintenance. Otherwise, every Annual would be a “back to birth” Annual which would be ridiculous (this does actually happen occassionally, when the new company smells a rat).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

WilliamF wrote:

I need FAR 411 & 413 checks done, but being in Ireland with my airplane unflyable until a DAR gets here to issue a C of A, I guess I need to bring over a guy from a repair station to carry out the checks. Maybe time to get a few N reg owners together at my hangar and split the bill :-)

Is the aircraft really not airworthy? I thought FAR 91.411 applies to flights in controlled airspace under IFR whereas FAR 91.413 applies to operation of a transponder. Would you be able to fly to a repair station on a route that does not require the operation of a transponder or apply to ATC for an exemption to conduct the flight without an operable transponder if it needs to be operated within airspace that mandates transponder activation?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

In the US, 91.215(d) would apply.

(d) ATC authorized deviations. Requests for ATC authorized deviations must be made to the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the concerned airspace within the time periods specified as follows:
(1) For operation of an aircraft with an operating transponder but without operating automatic pressure altitude reporting equipment having a Mode C capability, the request may be made at any time.
(2) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative transponder to the airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops, or to proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the request may be made at any time.
(3) For operation of an aircraft that is not equipped with a transponder, the request must be made at least one hour before the proposed operation.
KUZA, United States

There are various provisions for ATC-authorised deviations in Ireland and the UK as well but then there is also sufficient airspace do not require a transponder to operate in such airspace which should enable WilliamF to get to a repair station to get the required inspections done if he doesn’t want to apply for or rely on the ATC-authorised exemptions.

In summary, the aircraft should still be airworthy/flyable and he should not need to wait for a DAR to issue him any special paperwork.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

The extraterritorial applicability of FARs 91.411 and 413 seems clear enough, until we note that AC 43-6D paragraphs 9.2 and 9.6 make clear that the purpose of these tests is to ensure that “an altimeter is calibrated and acceptable for use in the NAS” and “the proper operation of a transponder in the NAS”.

Outside the NAS, I wonder whether the Administrator would consider it to be expedient in the public interest to try to enforce the letter of the law in a case where a US aircraft’s altimeter and transponder systems have been tested to the standards applicable to other aircraft in the same (foreign) airspace…

In keeping with the Administration’s new “compliance philosophy”, evidence of such local compliance ought to be accepted as exculpatory or mitigating at the informal conference stage.

Last Edited by Jacko at 02 Apr 22:33
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Hmmm that is interesting indeed. However it would not be the first time that some US / N-reg regulation makes a reference to something that exists only in the US.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi all.
Can some one confirm to me if I understand FAR43 regarding transponder check. I understand that transponder can be checked on the bench and not only in the airplane. Since my 24 month check was past due I can not fly the airplane to repair station and I would like to get the check taken out of the airplane. I am corect?
Thx

Appendix F to Part 43—ATC Transponder Tests and Inspections

The ATC transponder tests required by §91.413 of this chapter may be conducted using a bench check or portable test equipment and must meet the requirements prescribed in paragraphs (a) through (j) of this appendix. 

LJLJ, Slovenia

Kicko wrote:

Since my 24 month check was past due I can not fly the airplane to repair station

I dont know if I understand your statement correctly.

Do you mean that you cant fly the aircraft as the TX check is overdue or the aircraft is AOG for other reasons?

You only need theTX check for an IFR flight, if its a VFR flght you could fly it to the workshop for the check.

Some of you are saying that you need TX check only for IFR flights but I could not find this out when I read FARs. Could you please tell me where it is stated, that TX check is needed only for IFR flights?
As far as I understand you need TX for every flight.
Thx

LJLJ, Slovenia
Sign in to add your message