Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there an exhaust sealing paste that is any good?

With the Socata clamps you tend to get leaks, and replacing them with new at 200 quid a time is just silly. And the new ones still leak a tiny bit. So I use this paste to seal the joint better

Unfortunately it takes for ever (based on my tests, probably months) to dry in depth, so when the engine is next started, the slightest leak blows it out. As soon as the exhaust heats up the paste sets hard, but in those few seconds some of it gets pushed out.

Is there something better?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Socata clams looks quite sturdy. The standard US made aviation stuff is this.

All those clamps leak. There is no way around that. I pressurize my exhaust on every annual and spray leakage spray (basically a soap solution) everywhere. No way to get it completely tight. I wouldn’t bother in your case especially since you don’t have a turbocharger meaning there is no backpressure.

Well, generally with the expansion from the heat, most of the cold leaks tend to close up.

This was confirmed to me by one of the most experienced & knowledgeable experts on GA turbo systems, Gary Main – Main Turbos in Cali.

I have seen mechanics use Red RTV Silicone on exhaust to cylinder head gaskets, but I personally do not and doubt it is of any use.

Last Edited by Michael at 27 Aug 08:22
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The problem is that the Socata design relies heavily on the inconel strip

and as soon as that gets degraded you get a sizeable leak.

It doesn’t matter provided there is nothing near e.g. ignition leads etc.

In addition, most maintenance companies mangle that strip because they simply tighten the clamp, without first ensuring that the two ends of the strip pass each other. That clamp is then buggered for ever. There is a firm in the USA which replaces the strip but it’s not worth doing unless you can send them a number of clamps.

RTV silicone has a temperature range which is useless for exhaust plumbing.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

RTV silicone has a temperature range which is useless for exhaust plumbing.

You would be very surprised at just how ell the red RTV resists the heat – I have found it around exhaust gaskets with several hundred hours TIS.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Can you give me an example of a brand of red silicone which you have used?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Can you give me an example of a brand of red silicone which you have used?

As I already posted – I do NOT use RTV on exhaust gaskets, but I know some mechanics use it and on occasion, I find remnants.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

OK; I was trying to understand

You would be very surprised at just how ell the red RTV resists the heat

together with

I find remnants.

I don’t think there is any commercial silicone which will have any strength left at the typical exhaust temperature which according to this chart is around 500C:

If I run the engine post-service in darkness (can happen in the winter) then one can see the exhaust glowing a faint red.

This is not surprising given that the cruise EGT is about 800C, though that is 10cm out of the cylinder and in the middle of the pipe.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t think there is any commercial silicone which will have any strength left at the typical exhaust temperature which according to this chart is around 500C:

Agreed, and I seriously doubt that using RTV on exhaust gaskets serves any purpose, except, maybe, it’s used to stick the gasket to the exauhst flange while assembling the pipes ? (Just an after thought )

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
We had a similar type of metal “seal” within the exhaust clamps that were far from perfect with time. I´d put a few windings of glass fibre bands over the metal strips and clamp as before . That works quite acceptably but you need a fresh length of band after disassembling. Look for oven or chimney seals, fiberglass band etc. from heating supplies. You can get many sorts of band, narrow and wide , thin and thick, according to your case. Maybe those “cool” types of exhaust pipe wrapping bands would do as well, but come a bit wide. For all threads on the exhaust system you should use MoS2 paste, especially on stainless steel . Vic

band seal

fibre glass

glassfibre band

vic
EDME
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message