Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Over ten grand on a GTN-650

Note that you can use EU funding for 8.33khz towards a GTN 650, so that will lighten your cost a bit

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Only if you live in a country that showed the EU the middle finger.

For whatever reason, only UK pilots managed to benefit from this EU subsidy. AOPA Germany tried (actually with IAOPA for all European countries) but was denied. It’s airports, ATC and UK private pilots that get the money.

dirkdj wrote:

BCAA 8.33khz Circulaire

That is clearly wrong. There is no requirement from the EU that “all radios” must be 8.33 kHz capable. In fact the relevant regulation (1079/2012) includes this passage:

Radios intended to operate exclusively in one or more frequency assignments that will remain in 25 kHz channel spacing shall not be required to have the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability.

So you may very well keep a 25 kHz radio if you only intend to use it for emergency traffic (121.5) or any 25 kHz channels that may remain after January 1. I do realise the practical issues with disputing an illegal regulation by the Belgian authority.

If two radios are required, then it makes sense that both must be 8.33 kHz capable. OTOH it is not clear that states can mandate two radios for aircraft only used in part-NCO flights.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That is clearly wrong.

Yes but as long as the aircraft has an OO tail number and the ARC is issued by a Belgian company, they will just do whatever they think the regulator wants them to do, without questioning the legality. Especially since they have no downside, often they are the ones making money on the radio install.

It is very difficult for us to fight incompetent/malicious regulators that do not adhere to valid EU law. I am looking forward to the day where country CAAs get dissolved and become branches of EASA. It would solve so many problems.

However, I am told some FSDOs develop a life of their own and take different views on FAA regulations…

achimha wrote:

For whatever reason, only UK pilots managed to benefit from this EU subsidy

Would it be cynical of me to note that they announced the subsidy prior to the vote on Brexit?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Airborne_Again wrote:

So you may very well keep a 25 kHz radio if you only intend to use it for emergency traffic (121.5) or any 25 kHz channels that may remain after January 1

Just keep the second radio in the aircraft and put an INOP sticker on it

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

8.33 subsidy thread

Main 8.33 thread. Only one radio is required, therefore only one 8.33 radio is required.

Only if you live in a country that showed the EU the middle finger.

Indeed… democracy is a very bad idea because zee people might vote for something you don’t vant A benevolent dictatorship gets a lot more done… the only problem is that it invariably goes off the rails pretty soon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Charlie wrote:

Just keep the second radio in the aircraft and put an INOP sticker on it

Genuine question – who says you have to put an inop sticker on it?

AFAIK you are just not supposed to use it according to the UK CAA except for certain freqs 121.5 being one…..although we all know that it will work perfectly well (on 25khz freq,……. just the same spec as your 8.33 on a 25khz freq) and we aren’t going to get all 8.33 freqs overnight.

Last Edited by PeteD at 06 Sep 17:08
EGNS, Other

One of the problems of the GA clientele is that people keep circling around things of the past forever.

My problems with Avidyne’s lies are well and truly ongoing, as they have been since 2014, with no sign of any resolution. I ask them once a quarter, and they just respond with platitudes.

Caveat emptor.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I have no operational experience with my Avidyne yet, but so far they’ve gone out of their way with customer support. I chose it over Garmin after evaluating both.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 06 Sep 17:48
Sign in to add your message