Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help - need to crate and send an engine from Germany

Sure there are companies which wriggle out of warranties.

Lycoming and Continental are the two best known ones OTOH I have heard of many cases where Lyco paid for a repair which they clearly didn’t have to pay for.

In Europe, very little gets posted on forums – presumably for the usual reasons i.e. people try to look after a relationship first and foremost. In the US, you often hear about names of US engine shops which did, or didn’t, behave properly.

I think that if your engine blows up a week after delivery, every engine shop will have to sort it out. But this is extremely rare (I did once see a Bonanza engine with a great hole in the crankcase, right after an overhaul, in the UK). The more usual problem is that you get something like sticky valves a couple of years from overhaul. It’s going to cost you say 1k to repair a cylinder (the “old rope trick” with grinding paste is really just to get home; it’s not a long term fix) and I am sure very few shops would pay for it.

IMHO warranties are way too short in this business to be of much use. It’s like a 1 year warranty on a house…

We have lots of great old threads here and most of the people in them are still here. Those who aren’t have probably dropped out of flying.

The engine shop mentioned above appears to have gone bust shortly after the post saying it was a great shop It appears to have been in administration 2 months before the above mention. For sure you won’t get a warranty there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Big long thread, skimmed through it, but nobody seems to have mentioned the most important thing about making a box to ship an engine to the USA.

1) It needs to be made from heat stamped, or reworked timber. The wood that the pallet is made from will have the familiar ISPM stamp. Anything that goes onto the pallet needs to be plywood, chipboard or heat treated. Otherwise, your pallet will get rejected.

What is ISPM15: ISPM15 (International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures No. 15) is an International Phytosanitary Measure developed by the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) that directly addresses the need to treat wood packaging materials of a thickness greater than 6mm, used to ship products between countries. Its main purpose is to prevent the international transport and spread of disease and insects that could negatively affect plants or ecosystems.

2) Airfreight will be the most effective, and you will need to produce a purge certificate to state the engine is completely flushed.

I am sending big awkward stuff abroad regularly. I work with a guy who can and has sent a Tiger to Tehran, or a stage for U2 to LA. In my local tooling and bearing supplier, they get boxes in from USA for great big rolls of chain. For 20 quid I can get a big palletised box that is ISPM heat treated and can take a TCM520 or similar.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Indeed – the “better” thread on engine shipping here does mention ISPM15 etc.

20 quid is really good going. I paid a whole lot more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message