Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DME - any point in having one?

I’m searching everywhere for a screenshot of how DME information is displayed on a GTN-650 or IFD440.

No mention of DME in the pilots manual of either product.

The only mention I can find is that it does support remote tuning of DME boxes – so thats good at least….. but where’s the information displayed?

any ideas?

EGKL, United Kingdom

carlmeek wrote:

I’m searching everywhere for a screenshot of how DME information is displayed on a GTN-650 or IFD440.

No mention of DME in the pilots manual of either product.

These are GPS. They do not have DME. They only display GPS distance from the selected waypoint.

LFPT, LFPN

@Aviathor, I think you have missed that Carl is going to plug in a remote DME.

It’s like saying that the GTN is not a Transponder or Audio Panel.

Having said that, I can’t answer Carl’s question.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Carlmeek,
You will need a KN62 or KN62A not the KN63.The KN63 is remote mounted and only displays via some BK CDI displays http://www.bennettavionics.com/kn63.html

The KN62 and 62A have their own dedicated displays and are connected to the IFD or GTN so that the DME can be automatically tuned.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks – OK – so the IFD will remotely tune it, but won’t display the distance? That’s a shame….struggling for panel space!

Edited to say KN64 seems more common … same thing?

Last Edited by carlmeek at 12 Sep 13:43
EGKL, United Kingdom

It is same thing but here are details from the Web, in my career the KN62 or A were the most common.

“The King KN-64 DME represents a compromise between the KN-62 and KN-62A DMEs. It is a current production model, like the KN-62A, but typically sells for roughly the price of a KN-62 (check current prices). The trade-off is that the KN-64 is a less powerful model than either the KN-62 or KN-62A. Both of the “62-series” DMEs transmit with 100 watts of power. The KN-64 is nominally rated at 50 watts. However, KN-64s often exceed this rating, and many pilots find that the KN-64 offers all the power they need. Since it matches good performance with a lower price, the KN-64 is popular choice among our customers.

King’s KN-64 is capable of providing DME information for all 200 NAV channels. The KN-64 has an external channeling capability, allowing it to get the proper NAV channel from your existing NAV Receiver. You may also tune the KN-64 directly. This feature lets you monitor your position relative to other VORs, while still navigating toward the primary VOR station."

Steve

…but they have the same form factor, so it doesn’t help with your panel.

There are a number of legacy units with small panel heads, like this , but if you are trying to avoid crappy, old, preowned stuff, you are not going to want to do that

EGKB Biggin Hill

Looks like crappy pre-owned stuff is about all that’s on offer, so i will reluctantly accept!

That one looks good – easier for me to squeeze in for sure.

EGKL, United Kingdom

Then you need to call round the various avionics shops, they are bound to have some on the shelves, gathering dust, waiting for an innocent punter like you.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Put in a remote-mount KN63 DME and use the KDI572 or 574 indicator as it takes up much less panel space than a KN62/A or KN64. It will still be tuned by an IFD or GTN.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message