Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DME - any point in having one?

Carl,

ideally for you a KN63 setup with the proper indicator would save the the most panel pace. Loads of Cirrus and other planes with G1000 have this one. You can tune the KN63 via almost any NAV receiver including the GTN or Avidyne boxes.

While the GPS Boxes normally can not display the DME value, the question would be whether Dynon Skyview can. It would rather be the “job” of the HSI to display this, many older HSI’s have DME indicators in airliners, so do EFIS in quite a few incarnations and I believe the G1000 can display DME as well if properly wired, even though I note that most people still have the remote indicator. If Skyview can display DME, that solves your problem.

If you go KN62/62A/64 boxes, they are all identical from the outside and from the way they are used. I had a KN64 in my panel and swapped it (pin compatible) for a KN62A as at the time to get IFR certified a 62A was necessary. The 62A is the TSO variant, which was the only one allowed for IFR in Switzerland until part NCO took care of that. Now, as far as I know, any of the 3 will do the job. The KN64 has a lower power output and will therefore often catch stations later, but it is more than enough for approaches. The KN62A is the top model and if you can get one of those for insignificantly more money than a 62 or 64 I´d go for one.

I still have an ADF KR87 in my panel mainly because it was there and also because it has the only stopwatch in my panel :) which again is required. But other than that ADF is totally obsolete now that you can not even use it to listen to the radio anymore as most MW stations are gone.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 Oct 04:39
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

huv wrote:

Garmin managed to completely screw up the inherent simplicity of the DME in the G1000 by hiding it in two separate incredibly non-intuitive menu systems. Garmin really deserves severe punishment for that

The worst thing is when you have to select DME which is not part of ILS like in LDZA ILS approach for RW23 (navigation aids are: IZG ILS, LUK DME and ZAG VOR). On NAV1 you set IZG ILS, on NAV2 you set LUK DME then in DME menu (few clicks and scrolls) you have to choose “NAV2” and then “DME hold” and then you select ZAG VOR on NAV2. All this as replacement for simply dialing LUK DME frequency directly on classic DME device.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So for all the fancy avionics on my Tb20 (n219rt), it doesn’t have any DME/NDB/ADF.

NDB/ADF seems pointless but what about DME? There’s still plenty of ILS approaches that use DME. Would it be legal to use the GPS distance instead (which is ground based vs slant).

I know it would be much more accurate, but is it legal!

seems like it didn’t have these capabilities as the Americans have long parted ways with this archaic technology whereas we are too slow to move on :)

EGKA, United Kingdom

Rami1988 wrote:

NDB/ADF seems pointless but what about DME? There’s still plenty of ILS approaches that use DME. Would it be legal to use the GPS distance instead (which is ground based vs slant).

I know it would be much more accurate, but is it legal!

Sorry, but “it depends”. If you flyin continental Europe, then for the final approach track you cannot use it, sorry. Although, mostly places will have LNAV(+V for you) or LPV.
Another thing – the remote-mounted DME like KN-63 (no head) could be mounted on your aircraft and connected to display the info on G500TXi, just saying. :)
And I think you could buy it cheap. Although I don’t know if it requires more kit from Garmin (GAD?) and if that kit is installed on your a/c.
Ah, and when you use GNSS substitution, you REALLY need to be sure what DME is supposed tho show and what the supstitution is showing.

EGTR

Not legal (I have the exact same situation). At least in France there are fewer and fewer accessible ILS approaches, I haven’t flown one here. So it’s kind of moot. Maybe different in the UK where RNP is still regarded as the devil’s handiwork.

There again who would know…

LFMD, France

Forgot to mention – in many places you are allowed to perform ILS approach if you are radar vectored – APP will give you distances (check plates if that is allowed).
In the UK AFAIK DME substitution could be used anywhere, unless there are some objections from ATC (odd case at Gloucestershire a few months ago).

EGTR

Do you mean DME substitution with GPS?

I think if I could install a remote box and link to to my g500txi it would be a good solution and not much risk

EGKA, United Kingdom

Check past threads on DME. This is a dangerous topic to not fully understand

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah I’ve been reading around and seems rather like a rather tedious topic !

EGKA, United Kingdom

Because your plane is from the US.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message