Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Amphib Floats on a 'Permit Aircraft'

I have long aspired to own a seaplane, but I’m concerned that the running costs of a C of A machine might be a bit much for me.

I’ve seen an Auster Husky (as opposed to an Aviat Husky) on a permit which is for sale at a very reasonable price. The aircraft looks like it would work well on floats and running something like that on a permit, would be well within my means.

An internet search brought up a picture of ‘OH – AUM’ an Auster Husky on straight floats (as opposed to amphib floats) so it shouldn’t be impossible?

Several companies in the States make high tech ‘non certified’ composite amphib floats which can legally be fitted to ‘Experimental Category’ aircraft over there.

Would anyone know whether I could get a set of these fitted to a ‘G’ reg. ‘Permit to Fly’ aircraft over here?

EGNS, EGKB, EGCV, United Kingdom

If it’s not been done on that airframe type on G reg before, LAA engineering will almost certainly want to do some kind of engineering analysis. The only way to know for sure is to ask LAA engineering.

Andreas IOM

Hi,
I have a straight seaplane. Quite a rare thing, but I gather there are a few in the UK. There used to be four at one stage on Lough Earn. I think there is a guy with a Kitfox on straight floats in the south of England somewhere. The obvious thing to sort out is have you somewhere to put it? If you can have the infrastructure then they are great fun. I would recommend a hangar, or at least some way of getting it from the water and into shelter.

I would be looking at importing an N-reg something that has straight floats included with it. Take it out of the box, re rig and off you go. If you really must have an LAA permit airplane, then look at the TCDS for the vintage types. The floats are generally listed as equipment, and are only in theory a logbook entry and W&B amendment. My J3 had them specified in the TCDS and the floats themselves were not that dear to buy second hand.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message