Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Garmin TXI

They released info on four new products yesterday.

G500TXI up to 6000lbs
G600TXI up to 12500lbs
G700TXI above 12500lbs
EIS TXI

Comes in 7" or 10" screen sizes. Supposed to be shipped beginning of year and certified. This will most certainly put a big dent in Aspens business and probably completely kill off JPI and other engine monitoring systems. But they can only be run by Garmin GPS so far, so unless the others develop their own STC’s. So these won’t play as well with other stuff. Can’t blame them for doing that of course, but still.

I’d like to eventually replace my analog AI/HSI with something like this, but I don’t want to go to an Aspen. And if my Avidyne can’t run it, then I’ll have to wait and see if they develop an STC, which I’m sure they’ll do. They’re also pretty pricey. Expect $12K for the smallest G500TXI model, $18K for the G600TXI.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 04 Oct 16:18

Does this range actually exist?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, I have seen it and played with it (besides the engine instrument that isn’t there yet).

There is a certain delay, it was supposed to be available by now but they have postponed it to January.

AdamFrisch wrote:

This will most certainly put a big dent in Aspens business and probably completely kill off JPI and other engine monitoring systems.

Why does product X have to “completely kill” product Y? The market is large enough for more than one just vendor. Competition is good and it’s not a winner takes it all game.

Also comparing it to Aspen doesn’t make much sense because the G500/600 TXi just the successor to the old G500/G600 which has been around for ages. The Aspen “killer” as you would say is the Garmin G5.

Last Edited by achimha at 25 Nov 21:51

The installation manuals and AML STC were published a couple of days ago and it’s now in the dealer price list. We’re already lined up for our first one.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I think a lot of theTXi takes itself from the G1000 NXi which is far superior to older G1000s.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Yes, the map HSI is certainly from the G1000 NXi. However, the G1000 NXi is still a button only interface while the G600 TXi is a touchscreen interface. Therefore I would say that it is a more advanced product than the G1000 NXi.

Last Edited by achimha at 26 Nov 08:04

Most of the advantages I see are in the background. It’s like going from a 286 chip to a Pentium.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Does anybody know what the LRU is used for and if it is necessary if you choose the GDU with AHRS?

A LRU is a Line Replacement Unit.
the old G500/600 used the GDU together with two LRU’s seperate mounted ADC(airdatacomputer) and AHRS (Attitude Heading ref system)

with the new TXI screens you can choose to use the “old” units, new remote mounted LRU’s , or screens with the ADAHRS mounted on the back
(note ADAHRS is a combined ADC and AHRS in one unit.)

You stil need a GMU, temp probe and a GAD43(E) when interface to an Autopilot, and when you want engine data you also need GEA 110

Sorry to be pedantic, but isn’t an LRU a Line Replaceable Unit?

EGTF, LFTF
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message