Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A specific ADS-B IN Q on GTX345 in a TAS605 / GTX330 / KMD550 / 2xSN3500 system

Currently the TAS605 feeds the traffic data to the KMD550 (which contains the ARINC429 interface card) and to the two SN3500 EHSIs.

I am considering replacing the GTX330 with a GTX345, to get it to merge the ARINC429 TAS605 data with ADS-B IN data from itself (GTX345), and feed the merged traffic data to the existing display devices (KMD550 and 2x SN3500).

My understanding is that the audio warnings from the TAS605, which currently go to an unswitched input of the PS7000 intercom, will then come from the GTX345 instead.

And rewiring the ARINC429 TAS data will also be easy because instead of coming from the TAS605 it will come from the GTX345.

My GPS is a KLN94 but that is irrelevant since I am not doing ADS-B OUT.

Q1: I believe that the above display devices are supported by the GTX345 (not actually verified it) so “it should all work” but has anybody ever actually tried it? Some stuff published in IMs doesn’t actually work, especially in the Garmin-HBK-Avidyne interfacing department and they either stonewall or blame each other.

Q2: Which classes of ADS-B OUT emissions will the resulting system display? There are the various SIL levels of “certified” sources, plus some cheapo uncertified emitters which I believe some UK initiatives are currently pushing (not really followed this in detail).

Q3: If I later replace the KLN94+KMD550 with a GTN650+GTN750, will it still all work, for ADS-B OUT, and will there be any new functionality (e.g. seeing aircraft tail numbers)?

It is possible @wigglyamp may know of actual installations. Not sure if he still posts here.

The aircraft is N-reg.

I am looking into this because the Avidyne TAS605 ADS-B IN upgrade is never likely to happen, and if it does it will cost at least as much as a GTX345 installation, by the time the TAS605 firmware has been updated to the latest one.

Displaying uncertified emitters is also desirable because while much low level GA in the UK deliberately flies invisible, there is likely to be an increasing % which doesn’t do that, and ADS-B is more accurate than ModeC/TAS605.

Any input much appreciated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Q3: ADS-B out will work (GPS coming from the GTN). With the GTN you will see aircraft tail numbers, wake turbulence category, airspeed altitude and VS. You will also see all this on Garmin Pilot, and get SVT (you don’t need the GTNs for that).

Q2: the GTX345 un is dual-band, UAT and 1090ES. Unfortunately some of the conpiscuity efforts are not using those (Flarm for example).

EGTF, LFTF

Peter wrote:

Which classes of ADS-B OUT emissions will the resulting system display? There are the various SIL levels of “certified” sources, plus some cheapo uncertified emitters which I believe some UK initiatives are currently pushing (not really followed this in detail).

SIL is mainly the level of the GPS. COTS GPS you get SIL=0, fancy IFR GPS you got a good SIL

Q3: […], for ADS-B OUT, and will there be any new functionality (e.g. seeing aircraft tail numbers)?

The ADSB-Out and ADSB-In, are really 2 different independant things.
Even with a homemade RaspeburyPi adsb receiver you can see Flight ID and icao Hex address.

The only occurence of coupling between adsb-out and adsb-in I know of is in the USA where I believe the weather is not broadcasted on UAT if the ground infrastructure doesn’t see ADSB a/c in the area of a particula emitter.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

The Q is what exactly will the GTX345 see. Almost nobody is radiating ADS-B OUT with a certified GPS source, especially here in the UK. Would the GTX345 see any “homebuilt” sources?

Administrator

I don’t think so. I have only one flight under my belt with this and while the weather wasn’t bimble friendly, I saw plenty of CAT on ADS-B, some GA on TAS, but not GA on ADS-B.

Edit: Pilotaware broadcasts ADS-B out if connected to an ES xpdr; the Airavionics TR1500 doesn’t, Powerflarm doesn’t.

Last Edited by denopa at 04 Nov 20:31
EGTF, LFTF

There was a post here recently suggesting the GTX345 sees “everything” but I can’t find it.

Administrator

Xtophe wrote:

The only occurence of coupling between adsb-out and adsb-in I know of is in the USA where I believe the weather is not broadcasted on UAT if the ground infrastructure doesn’t see ADSB a/c in the area of a particula emitter.

FISB aka weather is broadcast continuously in the US, ADS-B Out not relevant.

KUZA, United States

There was a post here around 24th June from Avidyne which says the ADS-B IN upgrade to TAS605 would be tied to ADS-B OUT being also installed. I don’t have a quick way to find the post however.

I have emailed Sandel asking if they have any installation experience with the GTX345 traffic data stream. The KMD550 side is probably unverifiable unless somebody turns up with it, which is unlikely since most if not all KMD550s are either in planes which won’t be installing the GTX345 or they are for sale on US Ebay

One prominent UK avionics installer has just told me they only ever connected the GTX345 to a GTN box.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There was a post here recently suggesting the GTX345 sees “everything” but I can’t find it.

It definitely doesn’t see Flarm of P51 (? the Pilotaware format).

It gets info from your TAS/TCAS if you have one, ADS-B out from other aircraft that have it and TIS-B (in the US, re-broacast by a ground station of its SSR mode C or S targets).

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

I don’t think so. I have only one flight under my belt with this and while the weather wasn’t bimble friendly, I saw plenty of CAT on ADS-B, some GA on TAS, but not GA on ADS-B.

Edit: Pilotaware broadcasts ADS-B out if connected to an ES xpdr; the Airavionics TR1500 doesn’t, Powerflarm doesn’t.

Garmin Pilot will show ADS-B targets with a SIL of 0. Question is whether thr GTX filters them out.

EGTK Oxford
95 Posts
Sign in to add your message