Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

Interesting option also for ADS-B out in Europe:
uAvionix announces tailBeaconX ADS-B out transponder with diversity

LSZK, Switzerland

Is this EASA approved, and what is the certification process?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Per the article, to be certified in Canada in the spring and that is the uavionix focus due to the NavCanada plan to make ADS-B Out with diversity mandatory. NavCanada is part owner of Aireon and its use in Canada should avoid the large ground-based costs invested in the US.

What would be the incentive today to get EASA certification? Given the simple installation, this comes very close to being a minor alteration so the certification should be easy. Only real need there is the connection to a control head to set squawk etc. Once they have certification for that with the AV-20/AV-30, EASA should recognize an FAA STC. Don’t know if EASA does the same for a Canadian STC so might need to wait for the FAA STC to be done.

LSZK, Switzerland

From here

Jujupilote wrote:

Funny to see americans loving ADS-B, while so sensitive to any freedom issues. What if you had to have a gps tracker in your car at all times ? Personally I have mixed feelings.

Well, there are few issues here and it’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges. First of all – if you fly in busy airspace (possibly the busiest on the planet) as I do in the L.A. basin, then you
- are on radar anyway, as transponder is mandatory
- you very quickly learn to love ADS-B as you realize how much traffic is up there!
- you love it even more if / when it helps avoid a MAC. So far has happened twice to me in the past year. I can of course not know what would have happened without ADS-B but in both instances I doubt I would have seen the other airplane and am sure he didn’t see me, as no evasive action was taken. The last time was only a couple of weeks ago.

This is a safety issue, not a surveillance one, although I of course know that the “S” stands for ‘surveillance. It’s an aspect I don’t like, but am prepared to accept in the interest of flight safety.

GPS trackers in road vehicles, OTOH do nothing to enhance safety. There are some insurance companies that offer you great rates if you install one of these trackers. You then only pay per mile driven. Would I install one of these – no way, thank you very much.

PS: of course ADS-B is a completely different ballgame if you fly from some dirt strip on your ranch in Colorado. It’s not required there and prob99 also useless. Horses for courses.

PPS: ADS-B will come to Europe, as it is pretty much required for the integration of UAS into the airspace. May come sooner than some here think.

Last Edited by 172driver at 11 Oct 21:05

I have upgraded my transponder due to the increase in times when I have inadvertently come close to other aircraft.
I now emit ADSB.
Anyone with a Pilot Aware Rosetta should see me clearly.
Anyone with skyecho should see me clearly.

Even if I don’t see them hopefully they will see me. That means we may have upto double the input to avoid an incident.
I display my Pilot Aware on the Ipad and when in range of a ground station I will also see Mode C Mode S and Flarm as well as any other Pilot Aware unit, and Adsb.
It’s still not foolproof but today showed 15-20 aircraft in a 1hr 15min flight. 4 of which were within 1 mile.
3 of those were likely to have been seen conventionally.
1 required avoiding action. 1 we couldn’t find despite a strong clear signal, but that signal offered information to suggest we would be close.
We were, we saw him in the end and it would not have been an incident, but the Pilot aware Rosetta helped us to look for him.

Whether you have lots of cash and can get a full TAS or you opt for a Pilot aware Rosetta unit or a Skyecho unit, I really recommend doing something. Pilot aware is only around £300
It’s dearer, but if you just do Adsb-out and nothing else, at least everyone will see you coming.
RIP these guys. It’s very sad, everyone was up there for fun. For most of us thats why we’re there too, right?

United Kingdom

Arne wrote:

Its callsign is not available on FR24, but it’s on flightaware. It was usng the correct half-circle rule altitudes on the way out and back. The trick I have learnt (after a close encounter) is to scan on the correct side depending on one’s own track.

Could you elaborate this? The reason I’m asking is because imagine two aircraft are converging on point X; one is traveling towards it on a heading of 060°, the second is heading towards that point on a heading of 090. Both are at the same altitude; however the plane on a heading of 090 will need to look right to see the plane converging on it; the plane heading 060 will need to look left to spot the conflicting traffic.

Now let’s take a second situation where the plane heading 090 degrees is replaced by a plane heading 020 to that same point which the aircraft flying 060 is heading. The plane heading 060 will now need to look right to spot the conflicting traffic so I can’t understand why you mean ‘scan the correct side…..’

EDL*, Germany

The problem of mid-air collisions was solved over 30 years ago for IFR (jets) and over 15 years ago for VFR/GA (FLARM). 50% of GA in Europe today have FLARM and the fact that collisions still happen is purely a result of owners failing to install a FLARM system. The fact that every mid-air collision still brings up a discussion about a solution needed is mind-boggling.

United Kingdom

It isn’t going to happen for the reasons stated elsewhere.

Too many people pushing too many boxes and too much disingenuous stuff posted on various sites (including the other one you have just posted on ).

ADS-B would work fine; plenty of accuracy and unlike Flarm is license-free.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That thread seems to mostly discuss which FLARM box to install… As far as I know, from a compatibility perspective, all FLARM boxes are compatible with each other.

My point here is that we already have a collision-avoidance system that works and that many more people have than e.g. ADS-B Out. FLARM also receives ADS-B and transponders.

FLARM is license-free, I don’t pay anything to use it. The box itself is much cheaper than an ADS-B Out system.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

ADS-B would work fine; plenty of accuracy and unlike Flarm is license-free.

… and does not require any new major devices – ADS-B-out on new transponders is really cheap. If buy new GTX335, then it’s actually already there. You just need a card for around 500 if you can’t connect it to a panel-mount GPS. If you 1500, then you can install GTX345 with IN and OUT that would display alerts on GNS/GTN/….

EGTR
Sign in to add your message